We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite food :)

Denmark
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Favorite food :)

What are people's favorite food experiences in Malaysia? I wonder if people have places that stood out as just a memorable time and meal? This could be sit-down or picnic or...whatever! Are Street foods possible?? What is a "must taste" when we are in Malaysia?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite food :)

Hi..

I wouldn't say I am an expert by any means..but we love penang and their food, and I have only tried a few! We love: Char kway teow, and plain old simple chicken fried rice! What else, spring rolls, roti, honey chicken wings, satay chicken of course. We haven't had the chance to try a lot of what penang is famous for, but each visit I guess we will try something new.

Enjoy

Angela

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,565 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite food :)

Hi

I agree, Penang takes some beating on the food side!! Head to the Penang forum and you will find several FAQs about food --->>

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g298302-i9174-Pe…

Have you read the Top Questions -------->>>>>> Everyone forgets that the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs, are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone app’ you won't see the FAQs, so suggest that you view it as full site mode or head to a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages!

-----> -----> -----> ----->

www.tourism.gov.my/en/PDF-Viewer…

Denmark
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite food :)

Thanks for your reply Angela. It is in particular response as your I really like :)

In this regard, I am interested in the answers that apply from all over Malaysia and not only from an area as for example Panang.

Therefore I have written this topic and not gone into detail on individual pages.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
192 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite food :)

Nasi Lemak - we have it anywhere...

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite food :)

The main cities - KL, Georgetown, Kuching, etc. tend to be good for most of the 'classics' such as Laksa, Char kway teow, Roti Canai, Rendang, Nasi Lemak, Satay etc etc.

Then there are regional variations. For example, there are many types of Laksa. I prefer the Kuching one with shredded chicken, and prawns and a little bit of a spicy belacan broth.

One of my favourite things is satay. The best two i have probably tasted being in Tioman island and Kuching. Both at very simple stalls and very low prices.

A good place for the classic dishes in KL is 'Madam Tangs' more restaurant style than street - but tasty stuff. Street food is everywhere, Jalor Alor and Lot 10 in KL and the Red Garden in Georgetown (Penang) are tough to beat.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite food :)

Noodles called pan mee .... homemade flat noodles in a clear broth with minced pork, green vegetable and anchovies ... yum!

Also wanton noodles with honeyed BBQ pork.

Hokkien noodles ... fried with dark soya sauce, pork lard and prawns .... wicked!

Denmark
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite food :)

Many thanks for your reply. I 'm Really looking forward to going to Malaysia and to explore their menu cards, it makes me hungry :)

8. Re: Favorite food :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2014, 07:15