We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borneo

Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Borneo

We have reservations to arrive in Kota Kinabalu For 4 days late Dec. There are a bewildering set of alternatives we are trying to sort out. Would like to see a combination of the wildlife (oragutans, pigmy elephants, etc) in their natural habitual not quasi-zoos as well as experience native culture. Can take a RT flight Sanakan if needed. Can set out on day trips from a city hotel or a tours from a reserve but some tours appear rather over priced. Would appreciate any suggestion.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borneo

The best place to see wildlife are the Kinabatangan River, Danum Valley or Tabin wildlife reserve. Kinabatangan or Tabin Wildlife reserve are the only places you will see Pygmy Elephants in the wild (other than a zoo environment. All of these places are 2 - 3 day trip from Kota Kinabalu.

You can see Oranngs at Sepilok Rehabilitation Centre and Proboscis Monkeys at Labuk Bay. Both Near Sandakan and could be covered in a long 1 Day trip from KK.

There is a small Orang rehabilitation Centre T at Rasa Rai about 45 Minutes drive from KK.

You could also see try the Klias wetlands south of KK but it is pot luck. You will not see orangs there.

Go to the Kota Kinabalu forum tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g298307-i9429-K…

you will find information on some of these places under TOP QUESTIONS on the Right of the page.

If you go to this link you will find my review of my trip to Kianbatangan River last year.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303997-d151…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borneo

We did day trip from Kota Kinabalu huge day got collected at resort at 5.30am for flight and returned back to KK at 8.30pm. Sepilok was good but remember it is a sanctuary so the Orana tangs don't always come close you can be lucky then on the Proboscis monkeys then around Sandakan did it through Exotic Bornea booked this through resort but did our own airfares much much cheaper, the resort gave us this tip Tour desk gave us the flight nos to use etc. Glad we went

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Borneo

Hi

Apologies, I don't mean to hijack the post, but I would very much like to take a similar trip in August but I am concerned about the warnings issued by the Foreign Office: https:/…malaysia

Did any of you guys visit the area recently, and if so what were your impressions? Did you feel threatened or in danger at any time?

Thanks

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borneo

The FCO Advice does not cover the areas mentioned. See https:/…malaysia

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Borneo

Indeed, but it's not that far away neither. I am trying to find out if:

1) does it have any impact on the surrounding areas

2) given your knowledge of the situation, would you venture to the Eastern shore, against the FCO advice?

Thanks

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borneo

Question 1 - No

Questions 2 - I am going to Sandakan and offshore islands shortly.

I am going despite out of date Australian advice.

Recent reports from travellers indicate that there are no problems.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Borneo

Thanks mate

8. Re: Borneo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:18