We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best quiet place for christmas/ new years

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
best quiet place for christmas/ new years

I am thinking of a nice inexpensive place to stay in 2014. I had thought of a Bali type place but to be honest I am more into a Luang Prabang type town. I am planning to come to KL anyway and instead of going back to Luang Prabang thought maybe Malaysia might have something.

1. I am unable to do the beach thing.

2. I enjoy being or chatting with locals rather than tourists

3. Not keen on nightlife prefer quiet local restaurants.

4. It would be a place where you could relax at your accomodation but also walk a few blocks to local shops

5. I am thinking maybe Georgetown but am open to suggestions

6. Should be easy to get to from KL

7. Not concerned about activities as can't do sports

8. A comfortable family run place might be nicer than a tourist resort

I stayed at Sanur Beach in Bali, location was good but the hotel was full of snobby Europeans. That is why I am looking at something smaller.

Appreciate any ideas. Stay could be say 5-7 days, just me I'm 61

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best quiet place for christmas/ new years

sorry you found the Europeans snobby, normally they are not, it is more the language that makes them seem alof, but are great fun once you break the ice. As a Brit I don't consider myself as European. There are a lot more 'snobby' races out there . . . .

I have not been to Bali so can't personally compare.

There is nothing that really matches Luang Prabang in Laos, however given your pretty long and strict list of essentials then Georgetown is probably fit.

Please do go with some flexibility as the time of year you are travelling is mega peak time for the tourist industry so things like chatting to the locals might not be the fun thing you planned.

Head over the Georgetown forum, look at the sights, the hotels etc. As this would appear to be your best bet.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best quiet place for christmas/ new years

I'm part Brit too but it was not just me, the Aussies at Sanur also were not happy with the Dutch. It was not that strict a list. I speak a few languages so language not that much a barrier. I have been all over the world but usually don't have trouble with fellow tourists. This is why I am searching for a non tourist package place to stay.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
87 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best quiet place for christmas/ new years

i have not been to Luang Prabang, not sure if the suggestion will help:

A. sekinchan

http://www.sekinchan.org/

go to Kuala Selangor - if you are bored with sekinchan

kuala-selangor.com/kuala-selangor-attraction…

B. kuala kubu baru

allmalaysia.info/2012/06/29/kuala-kubu-baru/

then go to Fraser Hill - if you are bored in Kuala Kubu Baru

http://www.fraserhill.info/

*Fraser hill might be crowded during holiday.

in my opinion, 7 days may be a bit too long for both suggestion.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 20:34
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best quiet place for christmas/ new years

ok thanks luang prabang is a quiet town with maybe too man tourists but I like it. My idea is a place that has some culture where I can chat with the locals and eat in local not tourist restaurants. I am curious about KL but woud not spend 7 days there. It would be a lazy type retreat for 5 or 7 days.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best quiet place for christmas/ new years

I still think that Georgetown is the best option!

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best quiet place for christmas/ new years

Thanks Mitch, will be in the UK next August

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best quiet place for christmas/ new years

Having been to most of Bali and Luang Prabang, there isn't somewhere in Malaysia which would suit your requirements. Penang will be heaving over Xmas so that cancels your "quiet time". Quite honestly, if you want quiet, possibly heading to a small town on the east coast (yes ok it's monsoon time and it's coastal) might appeal ..... Especially if you're comfy enough to drive, there are interesting little villages where you can interact with locals (probably with sign language than the spoken kind!).

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best quiet place for christmas/ new years

Ok think I will give this more thought. However I am curious about KL so good possibility I will be there

9. Re: best quiet place for christmas/ new years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 05:17