We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Malaysia looking at Retirement Options

Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Malaysia looking at Retirement Options

My husband and I are looking into doing a driving trip around Malaysia to have a look at our options for retirement.

We plan on flying into KL, hiring a car and doing a circuit within a 5 week time frame. We are considering our options Malaysia vs Thailand and have spent a considerable amount of time in Thailand, now want to check out areas that might be suitable.

Has anybody driven around Malaysia, used a good car rental company. How do you think we will go without prebooked accommodation, we would like the flexibility to say, ok had enough here, not for us, time to move on.

Any hints, tips, advice would be appreciated. Are we trying to reinvent the wheel by driving?

Thanks everybody.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Malaysia looking at Retirement Options

IMO, save your dosh. The only cities/places worth considering within Malaysia are KL, Penang and to a lesser degree: Kuching, Kota Kinabalu, Malacca and Ipoh. Other towns will be far too small/parochial where language barriers will be an issue.

I'd suggest reading up on these cities and once you've found one that you might possibly feel comfy with, rent somewhere for at least 6 months before committing to buying (if that's your intention). Not sure if you know but there's a retirement program called "Malaysia my 2nd Home" ... Google and see if you can meet its requirements.

Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Malaysia looking at Retirement Options

Malaysia have a good road networks such as North South highway on west side but only coastal road on the east coast.

There are many car rentals company, but i would suggest a reputable one and good networks such as avis etc. Accommodation will be an issue in east coast during holliday season particularly Kelantan so plan wisely.

Level Contributor
72 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Malaysia looking at Retirement Options

Thank you both for your speedy and good advice. We are arriving KL 15 Jan, will spend a few days there before heading out. Will probably prebooked the next town we intend to head to the day before we leave the current town we are in - if that makes sense.

As far as places to live. We are both flexible and don't need a big expat community. Night clubs etc so having a good look around I think will be wise for us.

Thanks again

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Malaysia looking at Retirement Options

I've been eyeing on Penang forever. Very nice new condos with sea view or nice new houses. Not cheap though.

Kuantan (3hrs from KL) in the east coast is also quite nice.

Most of the time we drove from Singapore. Only one time we rented from Avis. Quite alright.

Level Contributor
334 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Malaysia looking at Retirement Options

Hi Di - As mentioned in post#1, here's some read up on MM2H for more info :

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Malaysia looking at Retirement Options

I drive in Laos, Thailand and Malaysia.........Great country to drive in....CHEAP DIESEL......good roads and if you're worried about language the overall standard of English is far higher than Laos or Thailand.

The roads are policed so familiarise yourself with speed limits etc.

I ground wherever I stopped there wrrenpeople happy to help and show off their English. I look forward to driving there again in the near future.

7. Re: Driving Malaysia looking at Retirement Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:15
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question