We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Malaysia tourist visa

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
Save Topic
East Malaysia tourist visa

Hi,

I am an Indian passport holder working in Kuala Lumpur (having WP for West Malaysia).

Could you please let me know if I need a visa to go to Kota Kinabalu (East Malaysia) for a holiday.

Thanks,

Arnab

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia
Helioutpost Terengganu
Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
WHOA Adventures
Sightseeing Tours
Skytrex Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mitways
Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

We are not migration consultants, just friendly travellers. You may need to consult your local embassy or consulate about what you can do, or the immigration department if you are already in Malaysia.

Mentioned in this post
Malaysia - Fiji
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

If you are in Malaysia, you are in Malaysia. You will need your passport to travel, but you don't need a special visa to go between West Malaysia and East Malaysia.

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

Thanks for the information. Actually in our work permit(visa), it is written that I can stay in west Malaysia till the validity. So got confused, if I need a separate pass for east Malaysia. I did call immigration department but did not help much. I think I will need to go to Putrajaya office to confirm. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Putrajaya
Putrajaya
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,872 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

Yes, best to check with the authorities. As your work permit expressly says West Malaysia and Indian passport holders normally require a visa for a social visit to Malaysia; you may find that you also need a visa to visit East Malaysia.

Mentioned in this post
Malaysia - Fiji
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

Oh if it specifies only West Malaysia then maybe that's different. Yes better check.

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

Hello I have the same problem. I have the visa for west malaysia and I want to travel East Malaysia.

Did you manage to get your answer because i have read a lot but could not find a proper reply

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

I have the same problem. I got an employment pass that says only West Malaysia. How can i travel to East malaysia?

Did you manage to get your answer?

Edited: 30 January 2014, 09:02
Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

Hi,

I have just travel back from East Malaysia. There is nothing to do for East Malaysia Visa. If you are having Employment pass (EP) only for West Malaysia, you can still travel to East Malaysia. On arrival emigration officer will stamp in your passport for 1 month free stay. You don't need to obtain any further visa.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

Hello Arnab & Afrina,

Did you guyz went to east malaysia? If yes, can you please confirm if there is any need to have seperate VISA to travel dere. Thanks so much in advance.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: East Malaysia tourist visa

I am guessing you also are a WP holder and hence you mentioned about it being valid. Anyone else can confirm the same.