We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

Hey,

Im 30yo male and will be in Malaysia from 29th december landing in KL, probably looking at doing the 3 main stops of KL, Penang and Langkawi... but just wondering which would be best for New Years Eve?

Thanks

Ric

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

Has to be Kuala Lumpur.

Langkawi will be pretty low key, and Penang has more of a vibe in Georgetown. Kuala Lumpur has the party around the PETRONAS Towers and KLCC park.

It looks like you have posted the same question twice, and I know how easy it is to do with a smart-phone. To remove duplicate posting click on Report inappropriate content, scroll down and click on remove my post. It will then be removed. Only you or TA can remove your own duplicate posting, although anyone can do this and select duplicate post

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

hi thanks for the reply.

I thought Penang would be more of a beachy party along the beach bars easier to meet people of a solo traveler?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

LOL, er no! Penang is an ok beach, but the main beach, Batu Ferringhi is more family than beach party and is pretty low key on NYE. There is a party at the Padang in Georgetown.

If you want beach party and beach bars head to Patong on Phuket - it is the best, best, best ever NYE!!

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

yeah after a bit more research i see Penang isnt as beachy as i thought from the map lol. I guess Georgetown would be pretty full on on New Years though?

I would love to be in Thailand but have already been twice (not on new years) and my flights are booked to and from KL.. so really should make the most of Malaysia....

Kuala Lumpur...
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

Penang is more on heritage sites and foods, not too many beach activities.

For new year, it is definitely more happening in kl than any other states in malaysia.

Simon Lee

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

Georgetown is pretty laid back new years. There is a fireworks party on the Padang but it is pretty low key.

If you are in Malaysia then there is only one choice, Kuala Lumpur. NOTHING else had a party!

If you have not done New Year in Phuket then you have missed an experience!!

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

where would i go Solo in Kuala Lumpur for new years though? seems like there would be too much in a city? Penang would be tourist and backpackers no?

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

Did you ever figure out what you are doing as I am also trying to decide between Penang and Langkawi for New Years as a solo traveler.

9. Re: Solo in Malaysia for New Years, where would be best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16