We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expenses

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Expenses

Hi all,

Me and wife will be in malaysia ( 5 full days in KL and 3 full days in PENANG) end of march

Just wanted to know how much should i expect in terms if spending money per day for both please EXCEPT hotel,

So food(decent meals/ food courts), few taxi rides, little bit of shopping(only fake bags, glasses, shoes) and entry charges

Out of us only i drink alcohol that too little bit

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expenses

I can't speak of Penang. Kuala Lumpur has very cheap, good street food. Malls have food outlets as does Sogo. Lot 10 in Bukit Bintang is famous. Evening food at stalls in Jalan Alors, also in Bukit Bintang, is more expensive than in Jalan Sultan, Chinatown. Pay RM7 (about A$2.80) or a little more for a meal. Alcohol at Chinese outlets is cheap but not when bought at stalls in Jalan Petaling crossroads. So, if you were to calculate that food is a third of the price it is in Australia, you have some idea. Entry to tourist attractions is also cheap - say RM7 for the Islamic Museum. Taxi drivers the world over are born to rip off tourists. Use the trains, monorail, buses where possible as they are also cheap - perhaps RM1 per stop.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,968 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expenses

Hi

We allow 500myr a day on average for the sort of things that you are looking for.

A few cheap days a few more expensive days.

We don't use taxis, preferring to walk or use the monorail / trains. We eat cheaply, but you will spend more than 7myr for a meal. Alcohol is expensive.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expenses

Thanks a lot guys,

So 500myr will be for TWO people /day?

Also which mall/ shopping centre we opt for reasonable priced shopping in KL,

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expenses

Check out Sungai Wang shopping centre on Bukit Bintang - it goes for miles, and runs into several other malls...take note of where you go in, and especially if you are meeting back up with someone, be clear on where!

5. Re: Expenses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:19