We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borneo 5 or 6 days

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Borneo 5 or 6 days

Hi all, We're currently planning an Oz trip for August 2015 and want 5 or 6 days on the way home in Malaysian Borneo. Family of 5, kids aged 15, 14 and 11. We'd like to see Orangutans and any of the other big animals/primates, and any other good recommendations. Suspect we'll fly into Kota Kinabalu via KL or Brunei.

I just don't know where to start, so any advice welcome!

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borneo 5 or 6 days

Answered ur same post in KK Fourm. Thanks.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 19:45
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,576 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borneo 5 or 6 days

Hi

Its a big question. I would look at Sabah rather than whole of Malaysian Borneo.

Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan are good bases.

Kota Kinabalu has some lovely islands off the town which have some nice snorkelling, which you can visit, plus the Rasa Ria hotel just outside of the town as a small [baby] orang-utan sanctuary.

You can fly the 30mins from KK to Sandakan. There is a large orang-utan sanctuary at Sepilok 30mins drive from Sandakan airport. Not far from there is the Proboscis Monkeys at Labuk Bay Sanctuary. Plus you have turtle island in the area.

Kinabatangan River and Danun Valley are not easy to get to but you will see the wildlife. You can get there via a flight out of Kota Kinbabalu.

I would consider what you want to pay on flights and tours, as you can't do this part of the world cheaply.

With 5 or 6 days I would be tempted to fly to Sandakan, so the sanctuary there as well as the proboscis monkey - that is 1-2 days. You could then head back to KK to enjoy the islands and perhaps visit the baby orang-utans.

Don't underestimate the distances and times involved.

In the various forums where you want to travel look at the green banner at the top of this page and check out the ‘Travel Guide’ [in the MORE tab] and ‘Things To Do’ tab [ tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g293951-Activi… ] which list lots of pointers of what to see and where to go as well as other information like restaurants, and Hotels tab [ tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g293951-Malaysia-Ho… ] where you see the full range of hotels / apartment rental / B&Bs etc for that area, see what appeals to your actually budget / style / requirements and you can also look at nearby hotels on a map, as well as read recent reviews

then on the right check out FAQs / top questions about . . . . . .

--------------------------->

Everyone forgets or misses the Green Banner and the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs [especially if using smart phone / tablets / tablets], which are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone / tablet app’ you won’t see the Green Banner or FAQs in the normal app view on your phone, so suggest that you view the app it as full site mode / desk top view; or just use a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages, you may have to click on ‘show more’ to reveal the full list!

Also read JBR / just back reports / trip reports etc or search and read some of the questions already posted in this forum. Lots of really useful information about already posted.

There are some really useful information and brochures from the Tourism Malaysian about many places in Malaysia, have a read and see what appeals: www.tourism.gov.my/en/Master/Web-Page/Places or tourism.gov.my/en/… These are backed with lots of really great information!

Or have a look at Trip Advisors sister website, Virtual Tourist

virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Malaysia/Trav…

3. Re: Borneo 5 or 6 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 06:15