We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Branching out of Kuala Lumpur

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Branching out of Kuala Lumpur

Sorry to post such a general question but I'm really pushed on a deadline to book flights and I'm stuck for research time - I have no real plan other than to fly in to KL next month for a two week break - Is there much that can be done by simply bussing it from there? (I want to get straight out of KL). Looking for more of a rural experience/ beach. I read up briefly about Perhentian Islands and that or similar appeals. I really don't have much idea on the scale of the place or public transport. Just a brief 'yes do it' or a 'no you must be loopy' is also helpful. Cheers and thanks!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,755 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Branching out of Kuala Lumpur

Nothing worse than being stuck for research time.

Lots of places you can bus to but given the distances flying can be cheaper. You have left it late, so be prepared to pay the price.

Perhentians are not easy to get to, flights to Kota Bharu, then bus or taxi to Kuala Besut, then ferry over to the islands.

My answer is yes, possible, but you need to find time to do a bit of research!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Branching out of Kuala Lumpur

Grab an onward flight to to Kuching (currently on sale for AU$28 with AA) and spend a couple of days exploring around there, spend a couple of nights relaxing at Bako National Park (most of which accommodation is very very basic, but a glorious environment) - plenty of animals to spot, and lots of trails to spend your day exploring. Back in Kuching you can spend a few days exploring the town and head out to Semenggoh to see the orangutans before they become extinct. There are lots of other options around Kuching so that you could easily fill a week - if you are lucky you could see the world's largest flower (raffelsia), check out the caves and other national parks, go kayaking, and if it is your 'scene' look into booking a private longhouse adventure for 2 or 3 days.

From Kuching you could either fly back to KL for a few days and spend a few days exploring the city, or do a daytrip/overnighter to Malacca, or you could head north from Kuching and explore the beautiful Mulu National Park for a couple of days, then head back to KL....

Yes, there are soooooo many possibilities.....at least you are not pressed for time during your actual holiday, so just pick a couple of destinations and take your time to enjoy them to the fullest while you are there.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Branching out of Kuala Lumpur

Thanks TravellingMitch - at this point I'm just trying to establish whether I book the flights but if I do then I will be smashing out the study before I go!! Cheers.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Branching out of Kuala Lumpur

Thanks TN007 lots of food for thought there. Would love to see the orangutans. Cheers.

5. Re: Branching out of Kuala Lumpur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:16