We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i need help and suggestions with planning my vacation

Boston...
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
i need help and suggestions with planning my vacation

hello,

i plan on traveling to Malaysia for vacation/leisure purposes in Aug 2014. and another good thing to mention is i will be traveling solo. i have not bought my plane tickets Yet..but i will soon be. BUT FIRST, i am debating how could i realistically divide my stay and limited time thru Malaysia considering it will be my first time there!

my desired places to visit is , well first arrive in kuala lumpor stay there for atleast 5 days , then singa pore for the weekend (3 days aprox) , Malacca , and a couple days each at penang island and langkawi .

my trip length should be for aprox 15 days in length, any suggestions or comments about my ideas ? also to, which is the best way of getting around in Malaysia ?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: i need help and suggestions with planning my vacation

Hi,

for your initial stage of planning- re getting around Malaysia- the places you have in mind,are relatively easy to get to...suggest from Singapore ( to reach Singapore from KL, you might want to consider doing an overnight train-see "maninseat61") ,you take the coach into Malacca, then from Malacca, head back to the airport (Malacca is closer to KLIA/KLIA2) for AirAsia flight to Penang island.

Then from Penang island to Langkawi- it can be reached by ferry (close to 3hrs), coach plus ferry transfer or with a short flight(Firefly).

The five(5) days in KL (Kuala LUmpur) gives you opportunity to soak in the vibrancy of the city,and affords some time to go for day trips to places such as Batu Caves +Kuala Gandah Elephant sanctuary+ Colmar Tropicale( French themed village + Japanese themed garden even with spa), KUala Selangor(for Bukit Melawati+ seafood meal+ fireflies watching-Kampung Kuantan + padi fields).

The week after August 11 could be better as earlier, particularly Aug 2-8, roads could see higher traffic and also on rail as the Muslim populace will return back to KL after going back to their home villages for the Eid al-Fitr festive season,which shall be on July 28 and 29 which are public holidays over here.

maninseat61:- www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#.U1HwqVdqPTo

Coach from Singapore to Malacca:- www.singaporemalaysiabus.com/malacca.html

AirAsia(no frill airline , departing from KLIA2) :- http://www.airasia.com/my/en/home.page

Ferry Penang to Langkawi:- https:/…penang

Edited: 19 April 2014, 04:50
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,933 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i need help and suggestions with planning my vacation

Hi

I am not you, and whist we can give you pointers, I can't really plan your trip or tell you what you would like.

If you first of all look at a map of the Peninsular, travelmalaysiaguide.com/images/Maps/peninsul… You will see that Kuala Lumpur (no o) is about middle. Singapore is south, Penang and Langkawi are north.

5 days in Kuala Lumpur is probably too long, 2 days each in Penang and Langakwi is probably too short, and 3 days in Singapore is probably expensive.

You can save on travelling time by using the overnight buses (cheap and can be dangerous if the driver is tired) or overnight train. However, you have to get a ferry from the mainland to Langakwi, and need to get a flight or ferry between Penang and Langakwi. Flying is normally quicker and if booked early is about as cheap.

You have the potential to use up 3-4 days travelling up and down the peninsular. I would be tempted to forget Singapore.

Along with where you intend to journey to, you need to consider your actual budget, likes and dislikes, your expectations for the holiday, your style, your requirements / must haves or must avoids, how far do you want to travel and how you want to travel, what have you shortlisted, what appeals and what have you thought ‘no way’ etc etc etc. We can’t plan or design your trip, or even list all the hotels and things to do, but we can give you pointers when you have more of a plan to help you fill in the blanks!

3. Re: i need help and suggestions with planning my vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:16