We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Camping Information

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
General Camping Information

Hello,

Having lived in Vietnam for 2 years and having had the pleasure of visiting Malaysia just once before, I've decided to return for a 6 week excursion. Despite attempts at encouraging others to join, alas it'll just be me :-(

My itinerary:

Perhentians

Penang/George Town

Ipoh & Frasers Hill

Tioman Island

Kuching

Miri & Brunei

Sipadan

My question is, as I'm on a relatively tight budget, should I bring a tent and some camping stuff with me so I can stay in national parks/beach or can I rely on backpacker establishments and cheap hotels to keep costs down. There seems to be relatively few budget accommodations in Malaysia in general.

Thanks in advance!

:-)

Open Sky Unlimited
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Discover Camerons
Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
JungleWalla
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Nomad Adventure
Day Trips, Hiking & Camping Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Eco Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,164 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Camping Information

don't take your tent - camping is not allowed in many areas and you don't see it that often; you certainly can't stay on beaches or national parks.

There are back packer hostels, but as you have found there is a relatively few. Most folks head to Thailand!!

You may find this link useful if you have not already seen it ---> www.hostelworld.com/hostels/Malaysia…

2. Re: General Camping Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:16