We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates or First Choice flights

surrey uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Emirates or First Choice flights

If you could choose would you fly with First Choice which is a non stop direct flight from Gatwick or Emirates to Dubai with a change and then on to Male as we are only going for 7 nights.

Thanks for your help !

Montgomery, Wales
Level Contributor
604 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

I'd say go First Choice direct - flight leaves at 6.10pm and arrives in Male just before 9am local time - under 10 hours. It is also well worthwhile booking extra leg room at £60 each return. We have now flown twice with FC, and find them perfectly OK.

Tiggy.

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

never flown fc but have emirates.They are the nuts ! brilliant 777 to Dubai and chance to stretch your legs before the onward journey.Crew are great as is the inflight entertainment.

Down side maybe for you is if the time table has remained the same then the departure back from Male is 2.30am

cfc

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

Ah, but jose, with a 02:30am departure, means you get the whole day at your Island, plus a late swim and bar at the hulhule hotel next to the airport!!

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

true true and true mate !!

Boston UK
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

First Choice every time - don't waste time with delays at other Airports. Granted, Emirates are good, but they dumped us in Dubai once on the way back for NINE hours! Direct is better and First Choice cannot be beaten for Charter!

London, England
Level Contributor
400 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

First choice vote here too - we've been twice with FC and once with Emirates and there is more leg room on the FC planes than Emirates (especially on the Dubai to Male leg which they use a smaller plane for). Also there is no chance of loosing your luggae on the transfer in dubai if you go direct. When we went Emirates didn't transfer our luggage between planes and we didn't get it for two days !

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

I do think with a short break that FC is the best option, even though I'm an Emirates man!

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

Emirates. Scheduled over charter any day...........

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

I wouldn't touch a charter flight to the Maldives. I know it's direct both ways, but I've heard of too many delays and horror stories about cramped cabins - that can be solved by getting their premium cabin, though.

Emirates are excellent. Check out the timetable, but we've been twice on the lunchtime flight Sunday, which gets you into Male at 8 am and returned on an 11am flight on the Monday. It is a much better timing than the 2.30 am flight and it connects nicely with the 4 or is it 5pm flight out of Dubai.

The other one worth looking at is Sri Lankan. We flew with them in December and thought the timings were pretty good. The flight leaves at about 9.30 in the evening on a Saturday and is direct to Male on the way out. The only disadvantage, perhaps, is that it lands at 12 mid-day so you don't get a full day on your first day. Coming back is via Colombo. The flight out is something like 8.40 on the Monday morning (that one is an Emirates flight) and there's about 2 hours in Colombo with a flight out from there at about 1.30 pm. This time we chose the Sri Lankan because we liked the idea of going direct one way.

Co. Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates or First Choice flights

Hi Mistym,

Have to agree with most of the above. For such a Short trip you must go direct. That said (as Mauritiusfan2 said) you should consider Sri Lankan. FC have a good reputation & Tiggy has used & likes them, however they are a charter co. and historically charter companies are more likely to have a delay. If you were going for a couple of weeks or more then that wouldn't be so much of a problem. But if you were unfortunate to get delayed for 12,15,or 20 hr's then you will only get 6 days in paradise. Emirates are a great co. & I love them but I think you will be totally nackered for a day after arrival due to such a long journey.

Regards,

Mark.