We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Snorkelers

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Snorkelers

Hi All,

Visiting Maldives for the first time in March and hoping to 'have a go' at snorkeling.

Website says all snorkeling gear is included, every video I have watched as said make sure the equipment is quality, can we assume that equipment provided in the Maldives is quality?

Since there is no house reef at our resort, free excursions are arranged. How long would a snorkeling trip usually last? Just thinking if I (more likely wife) cant take to it, we might be sat in a boat for a while waiting for the others.

May be a incredible stupid question, but on videos I have seen people go under water with the snorkel, how does water no rush down the tube and into the mouth?

Any website/videos you can point be in the direction of, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

29 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,545 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Snorkelers

Hi Chris

I think you would be better purchasing your own snorkeling equipment. The reason being is that you need to make sure your mask fits your face correctly and is comfortable. I also think as the snorkel is actually in your mouth do you really want to share with others.

If you decide to take your own you can either go for a traditional mask and snorkel or an easy breath all in one mask.

I think you would benefit from a visit to your local dive shop for a fitting and they will explain how the equipment works better than we can via text.

If you decide to use resort equipment I'm sure the quality will be fine but make sure you choose a correctly fitting mast each time you go. A leaky mask will put you off and spoil your enjoyment.

While on the snorkeling trip you will find the staff very competent.

The free trip won't be far from the island but you will have to check with the island for trip duration.

Anyway enjoy you Maldives holiday.. lucky you.. and start saving for the next trip.

Edited: 16 November 2017, 12:59
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,545 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Snorkelers

https://youtu.be/FvNjT1S9td4

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Snorkelers

May be a incredible stupid question, but on videos I have seen people go under water with the snorkel, how does water no rush down the tube and into the mouth?

--

as air get trapped inside the 'snorkel' which prevents water from reaching your mouth.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
702 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Snorkelers

My snorkel has a little float in the top of it. When its above water the float sits out of the way of the air vent, but as you descend it moves up and cuts off the air flow, so when you dive down no water enters the snorkel.

Some other snorkels have a one way valve in them that also shuts off as you descend under the water; there's a few different versions. Some very basic ones, or ones that may not have been looked after very well, may not have these so be sure to check them carefully if you decide to go with the resort's equipment. If you can, ask to try them out in the lagoon the day before your snorkel trip to make sure you're happy with them and that they don't leak etc.

Instinctively you'll hold your breath and take a big breath before you dive. When you come back to the surface you should exhale sharply through the snorkel and that will expel any small amount of water that is sitting on top of or around the float.

Another thing to remember if you're using fins is to put them on once you're in the sea, don't try and walk in with them on. Not only will it be really difficult, you might fall over and you will definitely amuse everyone else lounging on the beach. Put your mask on first, then 'sit down' in sea while you put them on your feet. You can always spot a newbie snorkelled by the awkward walking into the sea while earring fins, sometimes attempted backwards!

I hope you get on with snorkelling its pretty magical and I don't think there's anywhere better than the Maldives to do it. The sea is so warm, calm and generally very clear. Enjoy!

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Snorkelers

As someone who struggled to find a well fitting mask, I wholly concur with those who recommend buying your own mask and snorkel and going to a dive shop to be fitted out.

Just to point out that in the event you decided to go for a full face mask eg a Subea (Tribord) available from Decathlon Stores/online, these are not suitable for diving down when snorkelling but are only for surface snorkelling.

Happy snorkelling!🏊🏻‍♀️🏊🏼🐠🐙🐳

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Snorkelers

I'm going in March also and have bought one of the tribord masks and will be using the fins that the resort provide. I've snorkelled in European resorts using the cheap kit you can buy from most resorts but i'm not risking going on the holiday of a lifetime and having part of it spoiled. So i've tried and tested the full face mask and will be happy to use that.

I may use some of the resort face masks should I fancy diving down a bit, but as a novice i'm not sure i'll be doing so much of that!

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
289 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Snorkelers

@6

Dive centre will give you instruction & you can't go deep enough to get in trouble, just scare yourself silly.

Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Snorkelers

If you are going to dive underwater, can I recommend not leaving a snorkel in your mouth. I know a lot of people do, but the way I was taught was that if you have a 'J' tube type snorkel when underwater and you blackout for whatever reason, the snorkel in your mouth prevents your body's natural reaction of closing your jaw. When clearing out the water from your snorkel on ascent, the increased pressure required to do can also cause blackouts on the surface.

Full face snorkels are a good introduction for the first timer, and offer a great field of vision but if you want to dive a bit deeper get yourself a separate mask and snorkel. I hope you have an amazing time and have hours of fun (although if you do spend a lot of time out in the water, pack a rash vest!) - it is addictive!

london
Level Contributor
528 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Snorkelers

Hi snorkelling is magical especially in the Maldives as a novice snorkelling I don't suggest you dive until you gain experience when diving just pop the tip of your tongue in to the mouth hole of the snorkel. When you surface remember to blow out hard to purge the water from the tube.

Please be aware if on an excursion you will often just jump of the boat in to the water remember to hold a hand to your mask so it stays on.

I have seen a few people freak out when they jump off a boat as this will obviously be a short distance from the reef so don't be worried when you jump in to the sea and it is deep blue.

Remember to wear a T shirt so youu don't burn

Excursions in my experience usually last for about 30- 45 minutes snorkelling and generally have an experienced guide.

As to gear this is a difficult one to answer as I would always suggest taking your own but as this is your first time and there is no house reef perhaps renting / borrowing is a good option.

Both the Maldives and snorkelling are addictive so if you decide to purchase don't buy cheap crap spend at around a£100 on a good mask, snorkel, and fins they will last for many years

London, United...
Level Contributor
406 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Snorkelers

Just in case the blackout point alarmed you, this is much more likely if your pushing your free diving (i.e. Hyperventilating before going underwater, going deep/surfacing quickly to get pressure changes, or staying down for minutes, etc). If you are doing that spit out your snorkel! But I image, as you asked this question, you're sensible and you'll just do little bit of diving first. I'd also recommend chatting to the dive team, or going on a guided snorkel so you can get comfortable snorkelling. You'll love it, as everyone's said it's addictive!

Reply to: First Time Snorkelers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted