We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

Clearly I don’t have enough to occupy my mind…with our 2018 trip to Konotta not yet under my belt, I’m looking ahead to 2019 (planning is my thing).

I’ve got a vague idea that we might go to Eriyadu. I realise that it’s not much talked about on here, but it has a few particular attractions for us:

1) The reef

2) Hubby went there approaching 30 years ago – it would be cool to compare then and now

3) I quite fancy trying a budget resort (and saving some money for another holiday as well). I reckon we can do a week in Eriyadu for what we normally spend on an ‘interim’ long weekend in Europe

I can pick up some general information from reviews. I see the pool is not amazing, but who needs a pool in the Indian Ocean? I see the rooms are pretty dated, but also that they are in the process of refurbing them. The food looks okay…so please can we talk about Eriyadu? If you’ve been in the last, say, two or three years, could you share every detail and help me obsess?!

Thank you

73 replies to this topic
Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

I’ll be very interested in this too as we go in September! Apparently all the rooms should be renovated by then, I emailed the resort and asked. It’s not often mentioned on here and I’ve always wondered why as it’s been on the radar for quite sometime. Greatly looking forward to it though!

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
2. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

Maybe we could try and keep this thread alive! I'll update if I come across anything pertinent...

Hubby says the reef (in the late 80s ish) was amazing, with very big sharks.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

Yes that would be good, I’ll post any info too!

I’ve heard there are big sharks and some resident nurse sharks around the jetty, I’ve not seen big sharks yet on my visits so excited about that!

London, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
4. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

It's quite a few years since I went to Eriyadu - it's very small and was very basic then but we loved it, beautiful lagoon and reef.

But one of my clients went recently, staying in the new block of standard rooms which she said were very modern and clean. She said the reef exceeded her expectations with lots of fish, octopus and a turtle, reef bleached as everywhere but encouraging signs of new growth.

Food good if not a great deal of variety, lots of lovely fresh-cooked tuna and fresh fruit.

They are developing some man-made islands on a nearby sandbank, it was no problem during their holiday but not sure how that will progress.

I'm hoping to revisit this year as it's great value, I think

Paula from Magic of Maldives

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

We will be there for 13 nights from the 24th of April - flying Qatar ex Manchester - anyone else doing same ?

If you have specific questions - post here or pm me.

Dunno if you knew, but resort is now run by "Smartline" part of Thomas Cook Group - maybe not a good recommendation ? If you spend a few mins looking at reviews ( over 600 ), websites of resort and Smartline and look at YouTube you will have lots of info and maybe have a better idea and answer some of your concerns ?

I think if I described my own home town and surrounds as it was 30 years ago then anyone visiting would not recognise today ?

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
6. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

Thanks Paula!

Hi BillnFrances, I don’t really have any particular concerns - I have an open mInd, and am after all the info - good and bad - that I can find. Be great to hear about your trip in this thread?

Absolutely right about how things can change in 30 years 🙂 that’s kind of the point of a further visit for us (in part). I can definitely think of some holiday destinations that have very much changed for the worse in the last three decades, but I suspect somewhere like Eriyadu may have simply changed.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

I’ll be interested to know which room numbers are located closest to the beach with a good sea view from the room, if there are UK 3 pin plug sockets and is there a banana or pina colada on the bar menu!! Simple things 😊

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
613 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

I would like to know the room conditions. in the pics , the cleanness looks like a problem. there is just too few info for that resort thx

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

We went in 2013 and LOVED it. Favourite island out of the 5 we have been to. I was horrified to see the new block of rooms but that's only because it was so nice and quiet when we went and I can imagine that this may well be compromised with the new addition as well as the prettiness. Snorkelled with a nurse shark a it coasted round the drop off and the snorkelling was generally fab. Room numbers will have possibly changed but ours was on the widest part of thee best beach. If you read my review there are lots of details but just remember it was 5 years ago.

Edited: 04 April 2018, 13:24
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
10. Re: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?

Thanks Wid...I had a moment of horror there when I read, ' The bathroom was spacious with a large and very well-lit vanity unit with large mirror above, a bath (heaven!),' without seeing the comma after 'mirror' and thought, 'OMG I DO NOT need a mirror above my bath - definitely not my idea of heaven. In fact, that might spoil my day!!' Just goes to show the importance of punctuation :D

Reply to: Please can we talk about Eriyadu?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted