We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

Hello guys,

We are planning for 4 days trip to Maldives trip while we are still 2 person in family :) We are pregnant (she is on her 14th week pregnancy) and this is our first trip to Maldives. Need some advice on where should we stay avoiding speed boat or any other stuffs not good for pregnant women.

Any tips on accommodation, travel, food and activities are welcome :)

Appreciate the help!

13 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

Are you aware of the risk of Zika Virus in The Maldives? Medical advice currently advises that couples trying to get pregnant, who are pregnant or have newborns should avoid all unnecessary travel to the country.

I'd strongly advise that you seek medical advice and guidance and look at another destination where Zika does not pose a risk to your unborn baby.

There have been a number of recent threads on the forum which have discussed this issue. If you type "Zika virus" into the search bar on this page (it's just above the list of questions), you'll find these and can sort them by date to see the most recent first.

The advice below is current and I've provided a link to the relevant site too.

"Zika virus in Maldives

This country is considered to have a moderate risk of Zika virus transmission. Pregnant women should consider postponing non-essential travel until after the pregnancy. Details of specific affected areas within this country are not available".

https:/…Other_risks

Edited: 29 May 2018, 08:50
Mentioned in this post
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

Although I think Malaysia has a Zika risk anyway?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

I might be missing something but I’m not sure why you’d avoid a speed boat? If you are going to a resort, you are going to need a transfer- probably speed boat, sea plane or domestic flight and speed boat (or the resort that I’ve forgotten the name of on an airport island?). You could, of course, select a resort with a very short transfer to minimise the time in the boat if you preferred?

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of anything i’d particularly consider at 14 weeks pregnant, beyond zika, and things I’d consider at home - what I ate and drank etc.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

Please contact your dr, Maldives has zika. I was advised not to get pregnant.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

Thanks for the info guys. But I couldn't find anything related to Zika breakout in Maldives in news (Apart from Warning from Canadian government's website.) Anyway, we will check once with Doctor.

Any suggestions on accommodation though?

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

If you check out the WHO website you will see there have been outbreaks in the Maldives, but even if there wasn't any news of any, it doesn't mean it's safe. Please check with your doctor, but as I am working in healthcare myself I imagine your doctor will say to not take the risk if the travel isn't necessary. It's not worth it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

FYI the current WHO rating for Zika transmission in the Maldives is 2 (moderate), with the rating going from 1-4 (1 being the highest). Therefore the current WHO classification isn't negligible.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
336 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

For accommodation advice it would be useful to know budget and time of year - resort islands vary in price significantly.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

Budget is around 100-130 USD. Looking for resorts accessible through ferry and having decent food options.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.

I'm sorry to say that you won't find a resort for anything close to that budget. Furthermore ferries do not service resorts; they only travel to local or inhabited islands. Staying at a resort means that you have to pay for transfers and these are quite expensive and will add significantly to your holiday cost.

Staying on a local island is a very different type of holiday to staying in a private resort. My main concern given that you're expecting a baby is that local islands don't fog for mosquitos as resorts do, and I really do feel you must seek medical advice on this.

On the right hand side of the forum home page (not on a mobile device of the app) you'll find the "Top Questions on The Maldives". There's a thread here titled "Can we visit The Maldives on a Limited Budget" that will help you decide whether a local island stay is right for you.

Reply to: Maldives during Pregnancy? Need advice on planning.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted