We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 resorts to choose from. Help.

Tanjung Pinang...
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
4 resorts to choose from. Help.

Hi.

We are planning to celebrate my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary on this 3-7 September.

We would love to snorkeling, diving, so which island/resort would You recommend between this 4 we've listed if we want to see sharks, rays, turtles, maybe whale sharks on regular basis from our resorts house reef? The big stuff is important, but so is the overall marine life, with a lot of different kind of fish. Accessibility to the house reef is also important, so the snorkeling is more enjoyable.

Since we are going around September which part will be better?

Water Villa is a must :) Sunset/ Sunrise. Which one better?

1. Grand Park Kodhipparu Maldives

2. Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort

3. Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort

4. Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa

Thanks!

Edited: 29 May 2018, 10:53
Mentioned in this post
Grand Park Kodhipparu, Maldives
Grand Park Kodhipparu...
173 Reviews
Kodhipparu Island
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Outrigger Konotta...
231 Reviews
South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
Anantara Dhigu Maldives...
2,197 Reviews
Dhigufinolhu Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full...
1,974 Reviews
Furanafushi Island
AYADA Maldives
AYADA Maldives
#1 of 1 hotels in Maguhdhuvaa
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
#1 of 17 hotels in Baa Atoll
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
#1 of 1 hotels in Baros Island
9 replies to this topic
Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.

hi,

Firstly, it will not make much difference which part of the Maldives you go to in terms of weather - it could be rainy or sunny anywhere in the Maldive in September but hopefully you would get a good mix of sunshine and showers and could be lucky with no rain at all! No-one can tell!

As to the resorts, we have only been to Outrigger Konotta on your list but you should remove Anantara Dhigu from your list as it does not have a house reef. If you like big stuff then Outrigger will be perfect as we saw more sharks, rays and turtles there than at any other reef we have been to in the Maldives as well as lots of fish. eels, lobsters and other sea life. The only thing is you will not sea whale sharks. However spotting a whale shark on a house reef is a very rare thing indeed.

For whale shark spotting trips you would need to look at a resort in the South Ari Atoll (or perhaps Baa atoll as September is the middle of Manta season there when whale sharks may also be seen) - resorts you could consider in the South Ari atoll (with good house reefs too) that should be in a similar budget range to those on your short list are Mirihi, Lily and perhaps Conrad Rangali.

However, if you can live without whale sharks then i would definitely recommend Outrigger Konotta for the reasons already given - not only incredible marine/fish life but it is a beautiful island with lovely villas and great service and food.

Mentioned in this post
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Outrigger Konotta...
231 Reviews
South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
Anantara Dhigu Maldives...
2,197 Reviews
Dhigufinolhu Island
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
1,085 Reviews
Mirihi
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
2,393 Reviews
Huvahandhoo Island
Rangali Island
Rangali Island
Southern Ari Atoll
London, United...
Level Contributor
336 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.

As Moraid said you need to decide if you want to be near more likely whale shark and manta sights. If you are focused on whale sharks then it’s south ari but if you want mantas I’d vote for baa, we had hundreds on mantas in baa in September 2016, it was truest magical. However all of this is boat trips from islands. If you want a fantastic house reef, I’d do konotta.

South Wales
Level Contributor
992 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.

I think that Sheraton is on the approach to Male - big ole plane noise!!

Fornebu, Norway
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.

I have just been to Konotta on your list, but I would surely remove Sheraton (not very pretty) and Kodhipparu (too many water villas for such a tiny island).

Dhigu is quite famous for the stunning lagoon, but also mean its no snorkeling there..

If you want good house reef snorkeling and whale sharks, check out Athururga, Mirihi, Maafushivaru, Vilamendhoo or Vakarufalhi.

Mentioned in this post
Kodhipparu Island
Kodhipparu Island
North Male Atoll
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
1,085 Reviews
Mirihi
Maafushivaru
Maafushivaru
829 Reviews
Southern Ari Atoll
Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Vilamendhoo Island...
3,852 Reviews
Vilamendhoo
Vakarufalhi Island
Vakarufalhi Island
Southern Ari Atoll
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.

Just be aware if you choose Konotta it is a domestic flight from Male so check you how the time you arrive and leave work with the time table.

Also be aware with a seaplane transfer you may be looking at waiting 3 or 4 hours before a flight. Many reviews I have read recently complain about really long wait times. We have usually been lucky and not had to wait more than a couple of hours.

For only 4 nights your time is precious and I would be heading for a resort that is a speedboat transfer. Does Baros fit your budget?

You are likely to see sharks and turtles and rays on their house reef.

Mentioned in this post
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
2,411 Reviews
Baros Island
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.

I would exclude Grand Park Kodhipparu right away. put a lot of water villas on the stretch of sand bank and call that Maldives experience? that just looks too commercial and too fake to me

Mentioned in this post
Grand Park Kodhipparu, Maldives
Grand Park Kodhipparu...
173 Reviews
Kodhipparu Island
Tanjung Pinang...
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.

We love Konotta, but like what AussieAnge says, we need a domestic flight to reach there, and we fret we might end up spending too much time in waiting for the flight. Is there any resorts/island that we can reach with speedboat transfer? Thanks for the reply.

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.

My very favorite islands reachable by boat with decent snorkeling are:

Cocoa Island

Huvafen Fushi

Cocoa is located on a vibrant channel, so you see bigger stuff, too. Huvafen is adult only, thus might fit the occasion. If these two fall within budget, they are both amazing islands. Huvafen is small, Cocoa is even smaller with a much bigger lagoon.

Mentioned in this post
Cocoa Island
Cocoa Island
South Male Atoll
Huvafen Fushi Island
Huvafen Fushi Island
North Male Atoll
Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.

You can also add Baros which is a lovely island good snorkelling and a good dive centre. You will also have the opportunity to dive with Manta at Lankan point during September.

Mentioned in this post
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
2,411 Reviews
Baros Island
Reply to: 4 resorts to choose from. Help.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted