We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort facilities “Would likes”

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
493 posts
19 reviews
Resort facilities “Would likes”

Hi All.

When we first went to the Maldives in 2005 before I joined TA we had no idea of what to expect in the way of facilities other than the main ones listed in the travel brochure. The upshot was that we took some stuff with us that we never needed and didn’t take other things things that would have been handy.

Resorts have kept up with Trends & Technology since then eg WiFi, Apple docking stations, flat screen TVs, Nespresso machins, irons & ironing boards etc, but is there anything that you “Would Like” ether supplied in the Villa or as an extra Facility provided by the Resort.

I will start it off with a small selection of some of my (and Mrs Misty’s) “Would likes” when we visit the Maldives.

1. Extension lead. Power points never seem to be where you want them; we always take one with a single 3 pin socket on the end.

2. A cloths line with pegs, in the bathroom or somewhere discreet as you don’t want everyone’s washing spoiling the views. Some Resorts provide the pull out cloths line and some provide Towel racks that can be used to dry cloths. To cut down on cloths we tend to wash smaller items during our stay especially as we stay for 10 to 14 days, we always take a travel elasticised one compete with pegs.

3. Resort TV. A channel on the TV to let you know about daily activities and a running daily total of your expenditure, especially useful if you are on B&B. The only resort we had this was Velassaru.

7 replies to this topic
Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: Resort facilities “Would likes”

oh, interesting subject.

Agree about extension leads. I would also like to see plug sockets with USB charging sockets too (we have just had all ours changed in our house to include USB points) or at least one of those dongley things with various UBS attachments (my IT husband would kill me for that description). We have so many things to charge - Kindles, three cameras, phones etc this would be great. At Konotta the bedside electric clock had a USB point on it which was cool and handy.

Cannot think of anything else yet but may come back if inspired. Interested to see what others come up with.

Edited: 31 May 2018, 12:42
Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Resort facilities “Would likes”

I agree with extension leads, too. These days we all have several chargeable items plus hairdryers, straighteners etc all needing plugged in at the same time, or so it seems.

I, too, always take an elastic washing line and pegs and it is a bugbear of mine if a resort does not provide something to dry things on, not only laundry but swimwear. We all have lots,of wet swimwear in The Maldives. See my comments when I reviewed Reethi Faru, lol.

I hate it when there is no socket near a mirror which is common in many hotels around the world.

We don’t drink coffee, preferring tea but hate powdered creamer. It is so much better to have milk in liquid form even if it is the long life stuff. I usually carry a couple of small cartons and Hubby also asks a friendly waiter to supply some.

Can’t think of anything else offhand at the moment.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Resort facilities “Would likes”

The socket near a mirror point is My biggest travel gripes It simply confirms to me that most hotel room/interiors were designed by men, who never need to dry or straighten their hair😤😤😤

Level Contributor
493 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Resort facilities “Would likes”

And please a full length mirror!

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: Resort facilities “Would likes”

Good point ladies - agree about socket points near mirrors!

And on a similar subject, good lighting above mirrors! Often i find a lovely little dressing table with mirror but terrible lighting...

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
493 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Resort facilities “Would likes”

I agree about the USB plugs, you can get mains multi USB chargers but it’s something else you have to pack.

One of my problems is recharging rechargeable batteries, with 2 cameras on the go all the time and various other gadgets I usually take about 12 batteries with me as well as the batteries already in the devices this means having 2 x 4 battery charges practically running all day taking up 2 power points.

Another grip I have about batteries are the ones in the Villa TV / DVD remotes always seem to be dead when you get there, not sure if previous occupants swap good ones for old ones before they leave or its just bad luck but you would think they would be checked before new guests arrived.

A WARNING about batteries on planes, I was stopped at Manchester Airport last year on the way to Baros as the cabin bag scan showed I was carrying batteries, when they opened the bag the bag they told me there was more than they usually allow but as they were packed in sealed plastic containers they allowed be to take them, I had about 16 AAA at the time.

I was going to add in my original post that it would be good if Resorts supplied washing powder / liquid but thinking about it this would effect their laundry service.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
493 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Resort facilities “Would likes”

I just thought of another issue.

I like to download a few good Films / Programs from Sky onto the computer before we go in case of inclement weather and would prefer to hook-up the laptop to the TV's HDMI input but on a couple of occasions could not get access to the back of the TV very easily as they were built in. On Baros the TV was built into the lid off a cabinet so couldn't get access to the inputs.

Reply to: Resort facilities “Would likes”
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted