We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Could anyone give me any advice on which island to stay on?

London, United...
1 post
Could anyone give me any advice on which island to stay on?

Hi,

I will hopefully be travelling to the Maldives in May next year for the second half of my honeymoon.

We will be in Sri Lanka for about a week and a half and are planning to go on to the Maldives for 4/5 days after. Has anyone done this split before and did you find it worth it?

For budget we were hoping to keep it under £2k and as it is our honeymoon we want to stay in a nice resort. The one I have found is Kuramathi but they all seem so similar and I don't want to pick a terrible one!

I'm interested in a nice quite atmosphere, maybe some snorkelling and it doesn't need to have a pool if the water is good. I want to stay in a villa and i'm sure my budget doesn't stretch to that but I am willing to stay in a lower grade room for 2 nights and then a nicer villa for 2.

I'm not sure on all inclusive or not yet. Some of the resorts offer a breakfast and dinner option which might provide the most flexibility.

Any advice would be appreciated!

6 replies to this topic
Abstatt, Germany
Level Contributor
741 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Could anyone give me any advice on which island to stay on?

Kuramathi is a pretty big island with many villas, outlets and a lively ambiance. I don't think that's what you are looking for...

Komandoo and Veligandu are nice places for a quiet honeymoon and should fit within your budget. Perhaps Vakarufalhi would be another option.

Michaela from Reisser Travel

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
184 reviews
2. Re: Could anyone give me any advice on which island to stay on?

Sri Lanka and Maldives is a great combo. We are doing it again in Sept. I would just suggest you don't spend any time at the beaches in Sri Lanka. There is so much ore to see and the Beaches in the Maldives are many times better.

Perhaps have a look at Bandos quick and relatively cheap transfer for a short trip. I have not stayed there only snorkelled the reef.

australia
Level Contributor
820 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Could anyone give me any advice on which island to stay on?

Aussie Ange that's interesting you say about the beaches in Sri Lanka. We love the Sri Lankan beaches and watching a sunset. You are right though it's not the same as the beaches and the water as the Maldives but it offers a different charm. Many things to do in Sri Lanka it really is diverse with so much to see. We are trying Ulawatuna next month after the Maldives so we can visit Galle and the fort !

As you said it really is a great combo combining Maldives and Sri Lanka.

Goodluck finding the right island for your 4/5 days. I think that's exactly right to do it after Sri Lanka.

london
Level Contributor
599 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Could anyone give me any advice on which island to stay on?

Have a look at Oblu Helengeli

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
184 reviews
5. Re: Could anyone give me any advice on which island to stay on?

Luvo - we are concentrating on wildlife next trip but personally I think the Maldives has the best beaches in the world and would not bother with any others. Perhaps we are too spoilt

australia
Level Contributor
820 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Could anyone give me any advice on which island to stay on?

AussieAnge we loved Yala National park as one of the things we have done in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka has a lot to offer but when we go we still need to visit the beach. I'd say I've been extremely spoilt with beaches here at home and around the world but we love the beaches in Sri lanka. We love the surf and the fact where we have been has lovely little restaurants along them with sand between the toes.. So we definitely bother to visit them there :)

Reply to: Could anyone give me any advice on which island to stay on?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted