We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So Near So Spa ?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,399 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
So Near So Spa ?

Hi all

We always have a spa treatment in the Maldives and absolutely love them. We usually do a couple's treatment in late afternoon.

I was wondering do all of you enjoy the island spa ?

Do any of you just take the free 15 minute trial treatment that is usually on offer?

If you don't like them or have never tried one why ?

Any spa stories? Keep it clean lol....

Darryl

12 replies to this topic
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
786 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So Near So Spa ?

Never tried them. I say every time I’m going to take some ‘me’ time and have a proper masssage......but then we get to the island and all I want to do is dive and snorkel......I can have a massage at home, but I can’t explore the underwater world from home so I don’t think I’d relax in the spa as I’d just want to get back out in the sea!

London
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So Near So Spa ?

One of my favourite experiences in the world is the overwater spa treatment in an open pavilion. I am particularly a fan of thai massage (it is like "lazy yoga" with lots of stretching).

Probably my best spa experience in my life was a thai session in Kuramathi's overwater spa pavillion at sunset. The spa is on the west side of the island so I was enjoying my treatment with the soft Maldives waters below gently sloshing around and the light growing increasingly rich as the sun set in the distance. No dolphin/pan-pipe recording in candlelight can match that type of dramatic, natural ambiance.

Bruce, Maldives Complete

www.maldivescomplete.com

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So Near So Spa ?

I enjoy spa treatments both at home and when away, they're a little "treat to myself" and a fabulous way to relax, unwind and de-stress. Not one for "beauty treatments" as such but I do enjoy a good massage.

During a stay in Thailand a few years ago I had a massage every day in a pavilion overlooking the beach and bay. They were cheap as chips and some of the best I've ever enjoyed. I did however make the mistake of popping into a little hut on the beach for a "traditional Thai" massage and told the male masseur that enjoyed firm pressure. He literally walked all over me and dig into bits I didn't know I had with his elbows and knees. It was kind of exquisite pain at the time.... but I could barely move the next day!

I enjoyed using the spa at Reethi Beach on our visits there; I always take advantage of any "taster" offers and hope to have at least one massage at Outrigger Konotta next week :-) I'm sure the steam room and hydrotherapy pool will feature in my days too and I'm determined to make the sunrise yoga session at least every other day.

Whilst a spa wouldn't be a "must have" for me, it is a "nice to have" in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,142 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Outrigger Konotta...
232 Reviews
South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So Near So Spa ?

We've had trips where we've frequented the Spa and others where its not featured at all.

I agree with Bruce, the spa experience at Kuramathi over the lagoon is really special. We had a couples treatment there and the soft warm breeze, the sound of the sea.... magical!

I remember chuckling to myself whilst waiting to be called through to the treatment room. The pre-treatment 'holding' area at Kuramathi like many other resorts is gender specific, so ladies to the right gentlemen to the left. I remember there being a sauna, steam room and several large plunge pools of varying temperature. All the European guests were naked in the warm pool, relaxing and looking very chilled in a spa-zen state. All the Brits however were fully bathing-suited-up all sitting together chatting in the cold pool - me included 😂

We were all comparing notes on which excursion, what cocktail, etc.

I love a Spa both home and away, and always go with the intention of booking myself in for at least one treatment. However like Myrtle the pull of the sea and the snorkelling is usually too strong and I just spend all my time bobbing around over the reef, the rest of the time is required for showering off the sea and eating!

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,301 Reviews
Kuramathi
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So Near So Spa ?

We had a funny experience involving me,paula,a girl frim Thailand and a pot of tea.

Mentioned in this post
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So Near So Spa ?

Do we want to know this story.....?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So Near So Spa ?

You already know this story Doc 😁

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So Near So Spa ?

I'm intrigued by the story but suspect we won't get many more details!

I personally love a day spa. But I find the prices in the Maldives very difficult to stomach when I can fly to Indonesia in under 6 hours from home and indulge in a week of treatments for circa $18 USD per hour at a top end spa.

That said - I will nonetheless splurge on a treatment a week and use my credit to add onto that. The Heaven on Earth Treatment at Komandoo was lovely with a very skilled therapist and super refreshing facial products.

Mentioned in this post
Komandoo Maldives Island Resort
Komandoo Maldives Island...
2,277 Reviews
Komandoo
Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So Near So Spa ?

I always say I'll get a treatment but then find I'm always so hot and sticky I don't fancy someone manhandling me! This time though we have promised to do a couples treatment as my husband has never had a professional massage, watch this space!!

Ooh darrylpaula what happened?!!!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So Near So Spa ?

I would definitely recommend doing a spa treatment . Ok they do look a little bit expensive but I always feel it's worth it at the end.

One problem I personally have is because I have spent a lot of time in the gym over the last 25 years I do appear a bit chunky. For some reason those tiny little girls from Thailand think this gives me a high tolerance to pain... but it does not. 16 stone of me completely out gunned by a 6 stone girl lol

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: So Near So Spa ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted