We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at Oblu Helengeli

England
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling at Oblu Helengeli

We`re thinking of going to Oblu Helengeli as it fits our budget.

Biggest requirement is that it has a good house reef/snorkeling. Does anyone have recent experience as to the quality of the reef/sea life?

Secondary point - I`ve seen mention of construction on a neighboring island - is it really that impactive or a reason not to go?

Thanks in advance

Z+M

Mentioned in this post
OBLU by Atmosphere at Helengeli
OBLU by Atmosphere at...
902 Reviews
Helengeli Island
3 replies to this topic
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling at Oblu Helengeli

Here's a thread which might give you some information on the construction...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

Hertfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling at Oblu Helengeli

If you want to get an idea of the fish life at Oblu then there are lots of good snorkelling videos on YouTube, and also there is a live webcam which you can watch (it's Maldives time so best time to watch is morning UK time):

Live webcam: https://youtu.be/aNjLikaqPFw

Just from watching the webcam I have been very impressed by the fish life on the reef, including lots of Eagle Rays.

Mentioned in this post
OBLU by Atmosphere at Helengeli
OBLU by Atmosphere at...
902 Reviews
Helengeli Island
london
Level Contributor
372 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling at Oblu Helengeli

Hi

This was the first Maldives island I visited 13 years ago long before it was refurbished and for me the best house reef I have ever seen out of the 10 islands I have been to it was like snorkeling in an aquarium. There were also many large fish on the reef eg Napoleon wrasse, Turtles, Black Tips Parrot Fish Barracuda, Wrays the list goes on and on.Whether this was because of first time in Maldives I don’t know but it was a fantastic house reef. Obviously there have been bleaching issues over the past few years but Helengeli is in a unique position on the edge of the atoll with channel on both sides so my guess would be that it probably hasn’t suffered as much as other reefs.

The reef is very close to the beach so not much of a lagoon but a benefit of this is if you take a good torch out at night and walk along the beach the sea life is still amazing. I am certain no one could be disappointed with this house reef.

Mentioned in this post
Helengeli Island
Helengeli Island
North Male Atoll
Reply to: Snorkeling at Oblu Helengeli
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted