We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much info is too much?

Stavanger
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How much info is too much?

I just wondered what other peoples views are on this question.

Reading PlacitasGirl's comment about LynPhd's Konotta photos prior to travel made me think about how I also obsess about details and finding out as much as I can in advance of a trip. Meanwhile my husband likes to sit back and look forward to being surprised.

For example, obsessing over details like checking out the cocktail list in advance then getting to resort and being disappointed because the list has been updated no longer including the one cocktail I really fancied trying. Whereas hubby can look at the cocktail list in blissful ignorance and be happy with what is offered!

I am torn, where is the boundary between researching a resort and obsessing?

Sea Fire Salt
££££, Seafood, Mediterranean, European
Just Veg by Atmosphere
££££, Indian, Asian
Origami Japanese Restaurant
££££, Japanese, Sushi, Asian
15 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,401 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much info is too much?

LOL I am in the obsessing camp. Getting as much information as possible.

München
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much info is too much?

me too, love to know every detail in advance. No need for surprises for me ;-)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much info is too much?

Me too. We definite have better holidays because if it...but I enjoy it. It’s half the fun for me. I’d lose out on a significant amount of enjoyment if we were last minute bookers!

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much info is too much?

I don’t think you are alone NorwayNat. I too have been gutted on returning to a resort to find my favourite cocktail gone. They still managed to make it on request, yay!

I like to do lots of research into the things which are important to me but there can still be unexpected things turn up. Also not everyone's expectations or descriptions are the same so you need to take some things with a pinch of salt.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much info is too much?

Agree with Dianna, basing knowledge on people’s opinions is a tricky business. I like opinions verified multiple times! Much more comfortable with factual info, so might like to know what cocktails there are, but less bothered about whether other individuals liked them until there are enough individuals to be a crowd...I know for fact that what’s important to some people is less so to me and some others, and vice versa.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much info is too much?

Glad to see I'm not alone in this :-)

We're sat at home like Tiggers on Steroids counting down the hour till our taxi arrives. I've actually said to Hubby that if I ever stop being as excited as I am today about being able to have a holiday like this in a place that is so incredible then there will simply be no point in doing it any longer. The excitement, research, preparation is all part of it for me and Hubby is more laid back but even he's bouncing this morning. And I'm sure I won't struggle to find a substitute cocktail for the After Eight one that's caught my eye if it's "off" :-)

I like to think I know where the line is between enjoying and obsessing but Mr C might beg to differ on that one!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much info is too much?

Wow...this is weird....

I had just been away from the forum and was thinking about how those inflicted with Maldivitis are always researching.....the next visit....new future island options....current weather on the webcams...the Maldives in general...😄

And how, when you are starting the booking process (island or flights) you are watching impatiently for a reply from the agent/resort 😆

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much info is too much?

...oh yes....and how you feel a little bit miffed when something has changed or gone when you get there (based on what you had read up on initially).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much info is too much?

I think it’s about distinguishing what’s important and what’s not in terms of ‘obsessing’ or doing your research as I prefer to call it. After all, it’s a lot of money, and holidays are important when you may only have one or two. For example, for our last trip I filtered out any islands without an easily accessible house reef, then for my fiancé, his criteria were totally different, doesn’t go in water at all, so beach was important, and certain beers he liked (seems odd, but true ...) so was looking for island catering for German clientele. Which is how I considered Reethi, previously not on my list, and it was perfect for our priorities. Would have liked adult only, and no seaplane and a more modern villa, but in the end there were not many kids and they were no bother, he survived the seaplane, and we hardly spent any time in the villa (previously when in a water villa, spent loads of time there). Yes, did look at menus and they looked fine, but not a priority. Heard food was very good. Never looked at cocktail lists... but admit to contacting resort prior to arrival to check on beer situation lol. They replied positively which was a relief! Over last years if not decades cannot recall any disappointing holidays Andrew think that’s due to research. Well, apart from things out of your control (flight delays or cancellations, or inconsiderate parents). Not in my nature to leave it up to my partner and travel in blissful ignorance, though can imagine that would be nice if you have someone taking care of everything. Besides, I enjoy the planning and researching:)

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,139 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Sherwood Forest
Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much info is too much?

This question epitomises the difference between Mrs Misty & myself.

Mrs M is the creative one and I am the planner. I always plan our holidays at least a year in advance if it’s long haul and carry out as much research as I can although I must admit checking the cocktail menu has never been in by research, don’t get me wrong we like a cocktail or three but will choose from whatever is offered.

My biggest problem is that Mrs M has no interest in organising a vacation at all, she hopes that I know her well enough to ensure she will enjoy it. She has no interest in looking at brochures and never makes suggestions about where she would like to go with the exception of the other day, as I say she is the creative one and one of her many hobbies is jewellery making and semi precious stones and she saw a program on TV about Opal mining in Australia and she said she would love to go on an Opal hunting vacation if it was available, you can see what I am up against, considering our age, Mrs M thinks with were heart and doesn’t consider the practicalities, my problem is that I constantly think about the practicalities.

This is my dilemma as it’s our 50th wedding anniversary next year and I have no idea where to go. We have been fortunate to have travelled to many places in the world in the last 49 years but the Maldives seems to have everything we like in a vacation. On our last trip to Baros Mrs M took up snorkelling for the first time and loved it so I now have to include this in my planning. She hates flying but puts up with it but I’m not sure about seaplanes.

I’m sure that wherever I choose she will enjoy it and I am in my element when researching and planning but I do have to be careful that what may suit me may not suit her.

Mentioned in this post
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
2,411 Reviews
Baros Island
Reply to: How much info is too much?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted