We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby Hammerhead sharks

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Baby Hammerhead sharks

Hey everyone,

We’ve been to a few different islands and been so lucky to see all sorts of fish whilst snorkelling and even just walking round the islands... we always see baby black tips and baby grey reef sharks but was wondering which islands ( if any) have the baby hammerheads cruising in the shallows all day like the black tops do?

Planning next trip already x

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
281 posts
1. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

I don't think you'll see any - I've not heard of them being spotted near islands. Hammerheads are usually found in very deep waters, so perhaps that's where their babies tend to hang out too?

london
Level Contributor
609 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

I’ve only once possibly seen an adult hammerhead while snorkeling in the Maldives (was in a cave)

Lots of juvenile black tips and white tips in the lagoons and house reefs

I have also seen nurse sharks and guitar sharks during feeding

And once was exceptionaly lucky to snorkel with a large Whale Shark on Filitheyo house reef

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

I doubt very much you'll ever come across a baby hammerhead.

Seen all the once subadai mentioned about & also a Tiger Shark

London
Level Contributor
975 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

I thought the only dive site in Maldives where you are more likely to see adult hammerheads has to be Madivaru Corner at North Ari Atoll. Hammerheads tent to live in the deeper water, most of the time not shallow enough to see from the surface for snorkellers.The chance of seeing babe hammerheads at shallows is almost close to nil because they aren’t breeding as shallow as the black/ white tips shark unfortunately.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

Thanks - I thought it may be a long shot! Must have dreamt it up 😊

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

Thanks- we’ve just seen Whale shark, mantas, eagle rays, sting rays, turtles, baby reef sharks and all sorts of fish including the biggest Titan Trigger fish I’ve ever seen!

I’ll have to keep dreaming about the baby hammer heads.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

I’d rather not come zcross a tiger shark whilst snorkelling - I hope it was on a dive?

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

It looks like I’ll have to bite the bullet and sort out a PADI course then. Thanks all!

London, United...
Level Contributor
456 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

You’d need to be advanced qualified - the hammer head dive is basically a dive in the open ocean at 6am where you go down to 30m and just hang around. I’ve also been told that they’re very infrequently spotted so I’ve been put off the dive (as it sounds rubbish as if you don’t see them you’d see nothing. In comparison normally on a dive you’d see lots of fish and coral if the big stuff doesn’t show). You’d be better going to Galapagos etc for hammerheads.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
293 reviews
10. Re: Baby Hammerhead sharks

We tried the hammerhead dive. No hammer heads sadly. We hung around for awhile and then meandered up an underwhelming dive site.

I'd completely agree re the Galapagos for hammerheads but you need to be a very confident diver. We looked into it and formed the view that I am not confident enough to tackle the Galapagos yet. One day.

Incidentally New Zealand gets some hammerheads in nurseries in their summer. Water is still cold - 20 - 23 degrees and sightings are not certain.

Reply to: Baby Hammerhead sharks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted