We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adding weight after check in

Israel
Level Contributor
223 posts
78 reviews
Adding weight after check in

We will fly to the Maldives with Turkish Airlines. We are allowed 8kg of carry on, but mine is 9kg, since I put my “personal item” (my drone in its bag) inside the trolley, I don’t want it stuck on my shoulder. If I take it out before the luggage check in, when they weight it, and use it as a personal item like my wife has her purse, can I put it back into the trolley after? I don’t recall that the trolley get weight after that again, I prefer it inside and not on me during the entire flight. I don’t mind getting it out ans in again during the connection in Istanbul.

Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
674 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Adding weight after check in

I've not flown Turkish before so don't know if they actually weigh hand luggage but re the drone, many resorts have a ban on them now. You may have to sign sign a disclaimer form when you arrive to say you wont use one but even if they do allow them, you will apparently need a permit https:/…

Israel
Level Contributor
223 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Adding weight after check in

Yeah I know that, but we have a permit to use it in a specific location

Level Contributor
235 posts
3. Re: Adding weight after check in

Generally airlines don't weigh the handluggage - although I have seen some insist that you put your bag into the sizing 'cage' to ensure it fits into the maximum measurements allowed. From time to time, they may ask to weigh it though.

I'm not sure I really understand what you want to do. You're asking if you can cheat the mandatory weight limit by removing something from the bag, hiding it from airline personnel and then sneaking it back into your bag again later? For one kilo, I really don't think it's worth it.

Have you checked with the airline that it's ok to carry your drone hand luggage?

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Adding weight after check in

if you're transferring to the resort by seaplane they will weigh your hand luggage for that flight and they operate a strict 5kg limit.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 10:45
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Adding weight after check in

I don't understand what you are planning to do either. What do you when you say "you prefer it inside"? In the hold? If so, no, you don't access that case again until you collect at the end of your flight with the airline. When did you intend to access it again?

Israel
Level Contributor
223 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Adding weight after check in

I will explain myself. We are allowed to carry 1 carry on, and in addition, 1 small personal item (such as a woman purse, laptop bag, etc). My drone bag is small, so it is a personal item. I just prefer it to be inside my trolley carry on, not on me. But since it adds weight to the trolley, I want to have it on me during check in, which is allowed by the airlines (they allow additonal personal item to the carry on), but to put it back inside the trolley after check in.

As for the seaplane, it’s 5kg, but possible to pay an extra 4-6$ per killo. Ib worst case I will just put the trolley in airport storage and take just the hold luggage on board

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Adding weight after check in

I hope it’s not for use at the resort I’m going to as I find them annoying and inappropriate. I had hoped that the requirement for 2 permits from different government departments would make it nigh on impossible for tourists to use. Rant over.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
293 reviews
8. Re: Adding weight after check in

Here here! Drones are an unnecessary cause of friction in the Maldives. The vast majority of people want nothing to do with them as they relax on their (expensive) holidays. I'd certainly rule out resorts which allowed drones when selecting my next destination. Can report that Vakarufahli is drone free. I know there are many others.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
492 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Adding weight after check in

I found this information on permits on the internet.

https:/…

Israel
Level Contributor
223 posts
78 reviews
10. Re: Adding weight after check in

Drones aren’t allowed don’t worry (;

We will spend few hours in a private sandbank, and only there they can be used. And we will visit French Polynesia as well, where I plan to use it also (not in the resorts though)

Reply to: Adding weight after check in
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted