We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
66 reviews
Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives

I am looking for opinions on the Sri Lankan Flights from Heathrow Airport.

I have flown with Emirates and Qatar, but Sri Lankan are being given on a quote for a holiday as the best price flight

I don't mind flying with another airline but have a few queries..

What is the comfort & configuration of the seats? And are the entertainment systems Ok.

What are the meals like?

Are they generally on time for the transit at Columbo.

What is at Columbo Airport if you are spending some time there.

Upgrading seats?

Thanks

Sue

7 replies to this topic
Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives

We have not flown them before but are booked for our trip to the Maldives next March. I know several people who have used them and found service, seat and food all to be good, I believe entertainment is good to although not as extensive as Emirates. I did loads of research before booking as for all our other Maldives holidays we have used mainly BA or Emirates.

The planes are all new on the London-Colombo-Male flights. We have booked business and seating arrangements can be seen on SeatGuru - link below:-

https:/…

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
2. Re: Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives

Hello Sue

I gave a huge write up of my recent flight with Sri Lankan on a different thread last week - you would have loved reading it - however other forum members decided to delete it for some reason - oh well...

Anyway - my last 2 trips have been with Sri Lankan (admittedly in Business, but I have seen the Economy cabin too). Entertainment is good - loads of western films (not cowboys and indians!) and TV. Food was excellent. Comfort in economy seems similar to Emirates/Qatar etc but roomier than Turkish.

We left LHR 40 minutes late - worrying when we already knew the gap between landing at Colombo and taking off towards Male was only 50 minutes. The pilot made up some time enroute - we walked off 1 plane - straight across the concourse to our next plane and were onboard again within 9 minutes. The airport is very small and the UK flight lands in the same gate area as the Maldives flight departs from.

I hope this information helps with your tropical holiday.

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives

Have flown with SriLankan twice. They are just OK but not on par with Qatar or Emirates.

Planes are quite old & so was the entertainment system. I think they have less leg room than others. The food was really good (if you like Indian Food) & the service/staff are lovely.

But they do the job & the second leg of the flight is only 1 hour to Male. Not a lot to do at the airport.

If you are getting the flights for a great price, then go for it. But if you are really fussy, then stick with Qatar or Emirates.

London
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
4. Re: Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives

I've been considering Sri Lankan for June. They appear to have quite competitive rates and as others have said the CMB-MLE leg is very short. I much prefer that then two longs legs.

I would ask your travel agent to give you all the options. Or you can put your dates into Kayak and check. For example for dates we were considering, there were several flight options with Sri Lankan, all coming in at the same price.

Personally I preferred the 21:00 out of MLE giving more time on the island. The CMB - LHR then departs at 13:05, so we would opt for an airport hotel to spend the night. I haven't investigated the outbound options, but there may be the opportunity to do the same and get into MLE early by doing an overnight in CMB.

I've travelled extensively for work in the past, spending several months a year away from home. I usually found the differences between airlines to be marginal. Economy is generally not a nice place to be in any airline. And even Business Class isn't somewhere I would choose to spend a night or day. So unless the airline really has a dire reputation for poor service and plane quality, I simply pick the best timings/price.

Edited: 14 November 2018, 12:05
Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives

We have just returned using SL but in business. For the price point they offer good value seats comfortable fully flat in Biz and Economy looked OK too. Food is good both Sri Lankan and Western food, planes are oldish A330’s which again are fine.

The airport is OK in Colombo busy and not a lot of seating outside but fine for a few hours, any longer may be a bind.

To sum up its worthwhile if the price and transits work.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives

One other thing to consider: the Sri Lankan A330-200's are older and less comfortable, as people on here say, but the A330-300's on Sri Lankan feel brand new and much more comfortable than the -200's, with better entertainment systems etc.

You may want to check the exact aircraft type scheduled for your flight on a site like Kayak to see if the London legs are scheduled on -200's or -300's.

London, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives

The newer planes are usually on the London leg. I looked up today's plane which was just over 3 years old.

Reply to: Sri Lankan Flights from UK to Maldives
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted