We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

4 posts
Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

Hi there,

My partner and I are going to the Maldives on holiday. We are aware that the Maldives is not in favor of LGBT practices, however, I am wondering if anyone has had any issues. I have read lots and all seems ok, just wanted to check mainly to put my mind at ease. Any advice/information would be great.

We are staying at one of the Siyam resorts.

Thanks

27 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
13,836 posts
1. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

Hi, welcome to the Maldives forum :)

I always think it's interesting that although it's obviously different away fom resorts, in resorts the Maldives seems very welcoming to everyone, more so than many other countries. I'd probably refrain from overt public snogging, but then I'd probably refrain from overt public snogging anyway :D

I hope you have a brilliant holiday!

Gloucestershire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
6 reviews
40 helpful votes
2. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

Hi

As Maldiva says the resorts are very welcoming, I've been on islands with quite a few same set couples and everyone got treated the same.

Edited: 1 year ago
4 posts
3. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

Thanks so much!

Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
977 posts
20 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

Ditto, We've come across same sex couples many times over the years, got chatty with a few. Never seen or heard any problem.

County Antrim...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
101 reviews
85 helpful votes
5. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

No problems whatsoever on resort islands and from my observations it’s a growing market for gay couples. Local islands would be a different matter.

Povazska Bystrica...
Level Contributor
437 posts
18 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

Hi, strictly and simply said a homosexuality is illegal. How this is applied and controlled is another matter. Maldives is very welcoming relaxed country and locals rarely stick a nose into your personal business. If you keep it with a respect to the others than you shouldn't have any problem even on a local island. The resorts are even more relaxed and welcoming with ... let's say international approach..., here it really should be ok. But as the others forum members stated, it's a common sense for everyone to comply with a usual standards and practices. Enjoy this beautiful country...

Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

So many gay couples stay at Maldives resorts don't worry.

Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

Hello guys, any experiences with spending holidays on a local island as a gay couple? We usually are not showing affection or anything in public so it should not be a problem, but wondering what if we will request double bed in a hotel? Do you think it might be a problem? Or want to buy this beach dinner with candles etc. as many hotels offer it?

Let me know if you have any experiences or thoughts on that ;)

Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
7 helpful votes
9. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

anyone?

Tipton, United...
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
218 reviews
121 helpful votes
10. Re: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?

No problem whatsoever , been twice .

Reply to: Is the Maldives Gay Friendly? Any recent experiences?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.