We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help choose a resort for honeymoon

India
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
help choose a resort for honeymoon

Hi,

I had almost decided on Island Hideaway but now have to downgrade to a less expensive resort as a result of some unforseen expenditure. I am still hoping that the experience will be as good. At the end of the day maldives is mostly about the nature and not about the rooms :)

I am thinking of the following resorts. And I want to stay in a beach bungalow.

vakarufalhi

Medhufushi

filitheyo

thulagiri

Athuruga

Anantara

coco palm Dhoni Kuhlu (basic villa)

Any other suggestions in the same range. We are looking for a decent accomodation with good food and not very crowded.

Mirihi beach bunglow would have a good choice but it never seems to be free. Now it looks like Medhufushi or Vakaru is a good choice?

regards,

-venkatesh

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help choose a resort for honeymoon

I suggest Makunudu or Athuruga.

India
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: help choose a resort for honeymoon

sorry, forgot to say a island with a spa. Makundu doesnt seem to have one. But does look like a great place to go. Will add it to my futures list.

India
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: help choose a resort for honeymoon

even thudufushi seems to be a good choice

Channel Islands
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: help choose a resort for honeymoon

Have you considered Komandoo? Small island, good reviews and geared towards couples (no children under the age of 12).

They have some Beach bungalows that have a jacuzzi in the enclosed rear garden.

Less expensive than Mirihi so your budget could stretch further here.

Good luck

Tads

India
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: help choose a resort for honeymoon

Komandoo does sound great indeed.

@azurelagoon

Please let me know if Makunudu have a spa?

India
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: help choose a resort for honeymoon

thanks folks

Komandoo it is

Montgomery, Wales
Level Contributor
604 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: help choose a resort for honeymoon

Hi Venkatesh,

Having now been to both islands this year, I would say that Komandoo has the slight edge on Vakarufalhi - there is not a "bad" room on Komandoo and we had an amazing time there back in January. Having said that, we have just returned from Vaaru last week, and yes we had another amazing holiday ..... slightly better lagoon compared to Komandoo and the house reef was excellent too. The snorkling safari sites were much more interesting than those at Komandoo.

The outside bar area is much shadier and more comfortable than Komandoo, but their dining room was rather hot and airless even though it is open sided and I preferred the deckiing dining area on Komandoo. The rooms on Komandoo are better and closer to the water, Vakaru just needs a refurb on their bathrooms but they are absolutely OK and work, and I liked the real outside shower, standing under the stars is magical .... The statistics say that more people are killed by falling coconuts than by shark attack worldwide, so I was glad that those fruits stayed firmly attached to the trees!! Both resorts have excellent staff and really you would be more than happy at either - if anything Vakaru had more of a robinson crusoe feeling, particularly as there are no water bungalows.

We are back to Komandoo next March, and if we were told that we had to go back to Vakarufalhi, I would not be the slightest bit disapointed!!

8. Re: help choose a resort for honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 12:30