We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

Level Contributor
27 posts
How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

I'm talking about staying in a resort, not a guest house.

Maldives isn't a cheap destination.

Despite, sometimes I see some people been there 10 times. 15 times. Or staying at a suuuuuper expensive resort, flying with business class ... 😵

I am just curious, how can you afford ? 🤪

Are you business owners? Stock traders?

Or are you a " normal " employee but been saving for a year ?

Sorry this topic is maybe useless 😂...

but I've been just so curious 👀 how people afford!

74 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
62 reviews
80 helpful votes
1. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

I'll be honest, I do too! I'm incredibly jealous. I've always assumed people are just well off, but maybe not. I'm genuinely curious to know!

It's a once in a decade/twenty years destination for us with the cost. If we didn't have bulls and a mortgage to pay then, sure, but with life expenses it's just not doable in the regular.

Tipton, United...
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
218 reviews
121 helpful votes
2. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

Not sure how relevant the question is , Maldives has many islands to suit all budgets and tastes , the islands are visited by thousands of people each year .

The same can be said for living in mansions, owning a yacht or a large collection of Rolex.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
296 reviews
320 helpful votes
3. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

I'll answer this one honestly. Early in life we made a very good financial decision to not have children. That really helps ;)

We are professionals with pretty well paying jobs - we are far from ultra rich but we can afford to spend on travel.

Day to day we live pretty modestly. We don't tend to go out for meals or spend huge amounts of money on other luxuries. Our weekends tend to consist of catching up with family and friends at people's houses or chilling at home. We also have a pretty modest home by our contemporaries standards and only run one car.

I also don't fly business unless I can ban seats on points. While I love flying business, I love the cash that costs even more ;)

Gloucestershire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
6 reviews
40 helpful votes
4. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

I can echo a lot of Pughuggers comments- no kids and a non extravagant lifestyle. But we have never flown in business class and I'm most importantly I'm like a dog with a bone searching out the best deals.

Also another factor is holidays in general are expensive when you total everything up, so it's not that much more to go to the Maldives certainly to the resorts we generally go to (non high end).

So if its a choice of a trip to Cyprus for 4k or Maldives for 4.6k there's only one choice for us.

Shaun

Edited: 27 May 2024, 06:24
Reading, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
103 reviews
207 helpful votes
5. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

We are similar to PugHugger. Good jobs, no kids, two cars, modest four bed house (when friends have huge houses and send kids to private schools but have modest holidays!!). I get a very nice bonus every year which we use for our Maldives holidays. We should probably do some more work on our house but who chats about shiny new bathrooms but we do reminisce about our Maldives holidays!! We do fly business class but most often we manage to use Avios for our flights.

Edited: 27 May 2024, 07:46
London, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

Moirad’s post could quite literally be mine!! I am fortunate to have a good job in a big international bank and my bonus every year generally pays for this (or any other big holiday we decide to do). We generally do one big holiday a year (not always the Maldives) and then do a shorter one 5-7 days somewhere in Europe. We have also started going in the rainy season (June) so can go for 2 weeks instead of 1. We fly business class but if there came a time we could not afford this I would fly economy no problem. I am always aware of how fortunate we are to be able to do this.

Edited: 27 May 2024, 08:17
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
203 reviews
375 helpful votes
7. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

We are older and now have no school fees, no mortage and use points for flights generally.

And I agree with Shaun - Maldives is not really that expensive for what you get. We recently spent 5 days in Miami and it was more expensive than maldives 5 star resorts

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
296 reviews
320 helpful votes
8. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

Honestly the more I travel I appreciate how the Maldives can balance out. We just did a couple of weeks in Bali and I'm researching for next year.

While most places were way cheaper I am hoping to get the Four Seasons next year, this will easily add up to the same if not more by the time I eat and drink.

Level Contributor
27 posts
9. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

Thanks and this is so interesting to see how people afford Maldives.

I am glad I was not the only one that is curious @lozzy. ahaha.

I work for myself. I'm not making tons of money but I had a good profit last few months,

I decided to "gift to myself" to travel.

When you work for yourself you literary think of work 24 hrs almost 🤪it's nuts.

But I love what I do, and sitting on a beach inspire me a lot for work. 🥰

And others say, vacation in general is expensive almost no matter where you go... it can end up the similar cost. I choose Maldives 😄

I see some travel blogs written by normal people who flies on Business class, going to $2000/night resort and they do that almost every year. I can't really comment "uh what your husband's job?" 🤣 in their blog so I decided to post here. I hope to hear more stories of you guys how to afford. Very inspiring and interesting! Thank you :D

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
203 reviews
375 helpful votes
10. Re: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅

Perhaps I am wrong but I dont think many people pay $2000 a night. And honestly I could not justify two business glass trips a year paying $$$$ - let alone one

Edited: 27 May 2024, 08:50
Reply to: How can you afford to travel to the Maldives? 😅
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.