We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
1 helpful vote
Mosquitoes

Hello would there be less mosquitoes near water villa than there would be around a beach villa

I just seem to attract them and don’t want them to ruin my holiday

Also what good repellents can everyone recommend

13 replies to this topic
Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
965 posts
37 reviews
68 helpful votes
1. Re: Mosquitoes

My experience has been that there are very few to no mosquitos around a water villa and that it depends on how much vegetation there is around a BV and how frequently the island gets fogged. Mozzies tend to see me as dinner on the hoof - so BV stays always include plenty of repellent in our luggage!

My personal repellent favourites are Mosquito Milk, Smidge and Incognito - these all seem to work pretty well for me. I do not find Avon "Skin so soft" effective at all - but do know that it works for some people. Ditto the bands that are worn around the ankles or wrists.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Thank you

County Antrim...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
101 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: Mosquitoes

I’ve never come across mosquitos in / around WVs . The only mossies I’ve come across whilst staying in BVs would have been in/ around the outdoor shower / garden area. But never had problems with mossies inside BVs ( just keep the A/C on during the day). But I spend very little time in the room. So for me it’s a mute point as you have to go around the island for food / drinks etc ( unless u stay in ur WV the entire stay - which I know some ppl do)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Thank you my mind is now made up definitely a water villa and I will hope for the best walking around .

It’s our first time so completely clueless

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
965 posts
37 reviews
68 helpful votes
5. Re: Mosquitoes

One other tip - sand flies can be a real menace. They bite mostly on the ankles and legs, and the small red bites can be extremely itchy and long lasting. Insect repellent helps to fend them off - but it really pays to be off the beach in the late afternoon/early evening when they are at their most voracious.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
199 posts
17 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Mosquitoes

Oh boy sand flies !! I couldn’t understand why I never saw a mosquito at Komandoo and yet I was bitten alive - by sand flies . Pesky little critters - slather on some repellent just in case .

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
14 reviews
16 helpful votes
7. Re: Mosquitoes

Yes sand flies

I had over 200 on both legs once in the Dominican Republic. Itched for hours on end when in bed. Drove me nuts

Gloucestershire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
6 reviews
40 helpful votes
8. Re: Mosquitoes

Paul

200!!!!!! Jeez

Shaun

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
199 posts
17 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: Mosquitoes

Yup - during the night it’s unbearable , and the itching carried on once I got home for about a month !!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Lhaviyani Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll
Level Contributor
12,413 posts
27 reviews
209 helpful votes
10. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi Marie welcome to the Maldives forum 😎

Definitely less mosquitoes around the WVs but most islands try to keep on top of things by regular fogging. Obviously mosquitoes are more active after a rain shower or around fresh water ponds. To be honest I haven't personally had a bad experience just odd bites but do apply mosquito repellent each evening.

Have a fantastic holiday

Darryl

Reply to: Mosquitoes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.