We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling alternative to Vilamendhoo

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling alternative to Vilamendhoo

Hi,

I'm looking for a Maldives resort for holiday this spring. I've already been to the Maldives, to Vilamendhoo, and though I liked it very much my boyfriend suggests we try something new.

Our top priority is snorkelling - and he's not a strong swimmer so perhaps a place without strong currents. Aside from that we'd like for it to be pretty much just like Villamendhoo: more or less the same budget, all inclusive, great acquatic life (maybe more turtles!), small and intimate, friendly staff, quiet and romantic, decent food, no kids, and a beautiful beach.

Having been to Vilamenhoo, I'm a little worried that anything else will be a disappointment to it with regards to snorkeling. I've heard good things about Lily Beach, but I've also heard there are lots of children. I've heard that Filitheyo has good snorkeling, but you can actually see Male from it, so it's not as remote as we'd like. A couple of the others which have been rated highly for snorkeling have suffered sand erosion, so I'm quite confused. Does anyone have any suggestions on resorts? Or even which atolls in general are better? I'd really appreciate them! Hours of research has brought me nothing more than a headache! :)

Many thanks...

Also, apologies if you see this twice, but I initially spelled the resort name incorrectly so my post wasn't appearing!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
74 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling alternative to Vilamendhoo

We had three wonderful holidays in Vilamendhoo and found it hard to find an alternative island. We decided not to go back because of the renovation rumours and the appearance of concrete sea defences in some of the review photos. We wanted a really basic island with no pool or spa and few amenities - as close to a desert island as possible. These are getting hard to find now and most of the islands we considered seemed to be about to renovate, or were too big, or had a poor reef. In the end we opted for Reethi Beach in February but for our next trip we are going to try the Atoll Explorer as that seems to be the best way to get the desert island holiday we want.

Hope you find the one your looking for.

Nat.

Devon
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling alternative to Vilamendhoo

There is probably 10 meters of sea defenses at Vilamendhoo. They really make no impact. Herons like to fish from them though!

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling alternative to Vilamendhoo

While the Atoll Explorer looks very interesting, we're not really looking for a cruise kind of experience. And although we did some island hopping the last time we went, we're not too interested in doing it this time, as we found it only took time away from what we really wanted to do: stay on the beach and snorkel (possibly dive this time)...

As for Reethi, some have said it's a bit neglected and the food is pretty limited, so chances are it'd be disappointing after Vilamendoo. But really the most important issue of all is that I've heard of strong currents out there, and my boyfriend is not a strong swimmer. As it is I worry about him out there, as he can't tell a lionfish from a parrot fish...

Apologies for being so difficult! Any other suggestions would be really appreciated...

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling alternative to Vilamendhoo

I have posted a reply on your other posting about Reethi. We were there AL and didn't find the food limited. I wrote a review which explains that because I have certain food allergies, they couldn't do enough to make sure I was catered for.

On the snorkelling front, as your boyfriend isn't a strong swimmer he could wear a rash vest or similar which gives you a degree of buoyancy and also protects you from the sun. One point to make to every person going out to snorkell, you should never go alone - EVER, that way if you get into difficulty you have a buddy to help.

Softail

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling alternative to Vilamendhoo

How about Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu beach bungalow? Or if you want something cheaper Angaga... I believe Angaga is a fantastic choice for what you're looking for, good value for money!

A bit big, but also you may look into Fihalhohi as well. And for all inclusive Athuruga, of course! And for something more intimate and romantic, Makunudu!

All these islands offer fantastic snorkeling, they are all remote enough, and naturally beautiful islands. Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling alternative to Vilamendhoo

Hi

Vakarufalhi will meet all your requirements but I'm not sure if you will be able to get a reservation at this stage as it gets booked out very quickly. As you may have seen from another posting (thanks to scooby) Vakaru. is closing on 1st May and by the sound of things will be ruined after the renovation if they build water bungalows and extra villas.

Filitheyo is also very good and I think you must be mixing it up with another island as you can't see Male from there as it's a 20 minute seaplane flight away. Also Makunudu is a good match.

We have been to all three and Vilamendhoo and can recommend all of them for good food, good house reef which is close by and not many children (at least when we were there). Also recommend Royal Island for house reef, food and accommodation but it is bigger and there was a few children there when we went in May but only saw them at meal times.

Regards

Siobhan

7. Re: Snorkelling alternative to Vilamendhoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 06:18