We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks In the Maldives,

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
169 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks In the Maldives,

Hey guys for those who have been before, is it just the black tip sharks that are around the maldives, I have heard sightings of whale sharks, but anything more dangerous? Has anyone got any decent photo's?

I'm really looking forward to going out to swim and a couple of shark sightings would be great (as well as mantas) but unless i'm in a cage, an unwelcome meeting with a tiger or great white might cause me to soil my trunks!

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

Hammerheads are also on the menu........

I've not heard any reports of great whites so you can keep your groundbait intact.............

U.K.
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

The water is too warm for Great Whites but the Maldives does have over 26 other species of shark..........

themaldives.com/scuba-diving/maldives-sharks…

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

if there is 26 then only another 22 left to see , seems a good reason to book another holiday LOL

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

Or even another 22 holidays.................

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
169 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

Someones got too much money. This aint a cheap destination!

I'll have a look at the link later thanks.

Anyone seen any others?

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
169 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

Wish I hadn't looked at the link now,

Mako and Tiger seem a little unfriendly?!?!!?

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

They may be official inhabitants of Maldivian waters but to be honest, they hang out in much deeper water. Even when diving your chances of seeing Tiger sharks are very slim, particularly around the islands. When swimming all you'll see are small reef sharks and they'll be gone before you know it.

I used to be petrified of sharks and spent many dives looking over my shoulder expecting to come face to face with jaws, so you can imagine I was a bit apprehensive when we went to the Maldives. But honestly you'll have no problems. They are fascinating creatures and as with everything under the water, treat them with respect and you'll have no problems.

If you pm me your email address I can send you a photo of a reef shark that I took while snorkelling off Bandos.

Have a great holiday! I'm jealous!

Sarah

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

Hi

You will mainly see reef, white tip, silver tip, hammerheads, leopard sharks and black tip

regards susie

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

Blimey I didn't realise there were so many sharks in the Maldives.

Mind you to be honest i think i am going to be more worried about the Titan triggerfish after reading all the posts on here about it recently!!

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
169 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks In the Maldives,

Triger fish are fine at the right time of year. When In egypt I did see a russian Gent trying to pull a trigger by the tail, and was wanting his photo taken with a congar or mauray eel.

??????

Somepeople are odd!

is visability good enough to see any biggies from a way off?