We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best "price no object" resort?

East Anglia, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best "price no object" resort?

Hi,

we're a couple, late 30's, no kids, planning a getaway to the Maldives next Dec08/Jan09.

We don't dive (we've been on a guided day trip diving in Turkey, but no qualifications) but we're both keen on snorkelling and seeing the wildlife.

We don't Spa - actually we don't know the ropes, so we're a bit nervous about being prodded and poked, and we fear being embarrased newbies. We could be persuaded.

Price isn't a major issue - we've just come back from a few days staying at the Burj al Arab in Dubai - although we don't want to throw it away on a resort that won't deliver value for money.

Can anyone recommend the best resort with private pools (plunge pools OK, bit preferably bigger) lovely views, calm snorkelling conditions, not too many noisy kids/families, wide beaches, a selection of nice restaurants and good service?

Basically we want to unwind after our busiest, most stressful time of the year at home in the UK, and we fancy the Maldives. Are we looking at the right destination?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Hi

Not that I am in the position of ever being able to book a "price no object" resort, from what I've read I'd pick Dhoni Mighili :-)

I would recommend you purchase a guide, something like Resorts of Maldives by Adrian Neville (available from Amazon or from www.sevenholidays.com), which has reviews of nearly all of the islands (personally visited by the author) and has plenty of very good photographs.

Good luck with your choice

Ian

East Anglia, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Thanks for the pointer Ian.

Having checked out some reviews, I'm not sure the accommodation and private pool are up to the job, and although some staff attention is good, I'd rather ask than be asked about every detail of what we want to do and when.

My sea legs have been known to be a bit wobbly too - I'll think we'd prefer dry land unless swimming/snorkelling...

Appreciate your suggestion - I'll go and hunt out that book.

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Maldives is DEFINATELY the right place. To look elsewhere is really waste of time.

Here are my top choices for you:

1) Rania Experience (private island just for you!)

2) Banyan Tree Madivaru (Lovely tent villas)

3) Island Hideaway (Jasmin Garden Villa)

4) Huvafen Fushi (Ocean Bungalow)

5) Soneva Fushi (Avoid the side of the island with local island view)

6) W Retreat (Ocean Haven)

7) Cocoa Island (Two Bedroom Villa)

All have very good snorkeling. All calm except W Retreat.

england
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Hi, I have also stayed at the Burj and find the price very reasonable compeered to some of the Maldives resorts. If price is not your option then have a look at the One and Only resorts a bit more expensive then the Burj and much more expensive then the ones in Dubai depending on the type of villa you go for but a good chain never the less.

Chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Both of the Four Seasons in the Maldives are wonderful (especially the Landaa Giravaaru resort).

At Landaa Giravaaru, the plunge pools in the beach villas are quite spacious and if price is no object, the two bedroom water villa (with pool) is truly extraordinary.

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Medea UK

Somehow I got the feeling that you weren't a Dhoni Mighili kind of person (smiles). The place would definitely be at the top of my wish list but it does require a certain affinity towards the sea to really make it attractive.

Asurelagoon listed a number of properties that are all worth considering (perhaps with the exception of the 'W'). Since your priority seems to be the pool I would suggest that you look into Island Hideaway among that list.

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Oh and if you can live with just the plunge pool I noticed that nobody mentioned the sunset villa at the Hilton. Nothing wrong with that little "ocean shack" if you have the money (smiles).

Broxburn, UK
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Hi MDEA,

Like Luby, we too have been to the Burj recently and although it may be expensive, after you consider all the "freebies" you get, it actually doesn't work out too bad. Anyway, about the Maldives...I am similar to you, in that, having our own pool is now one of the things that draws me to a particular property. We stayed at Al Maha(exceptional property) in Dubai and we had our own infifnity pool there and have stayed at a few of the Banyan Tree Resorts(highly recommend) and always had our own pool there too. In April we will be staying at Huvafen Fushi in an Ocean Bungalow. it was the private 3-tiered deck and pool that swung it for me. If you haven't already looked, then go into their website and they give you 360 degree tours of the suites. The Ocean Bungalows look amazing, but if money is no object, then take a look at the Ocean Pavilions. That is what I would choose if I was in your shoes...........God, I'm sounding like a poet here!!!!!!

East Anglia, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Many thanks for all your suggestions - off to do some research now.

I must say we can't wait to go - the "Resorts of the Maldives" arrived today so I'm all set with Christmas reading.

Undoubtedly I'll have some more questions - everytime I think we've found the right place I read a negative review on the site and I'm back to square one again.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best "price no object" resort?

Hi MDEAUK

I'm always astonished that anyone wanting to go to the Maldives has a pool on their wish list. What on earth for with the wonderful Indian Ocean within a couple of steps. My feeling is that you have totally misunderstood the place particularly when making any comparison with the Burj which luxurious as it may be is sited in the sort of middle market Blackpool in Dubai

Regards

Doug