We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining Maldives and Australia

derry
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Combining Maldives and Australia

I am planning our honeymoon for November 2008. I have five weeks off and plan on travelling around Australia for 4 weeks (on a budget) and then stopping off for a week of luxury on the way back to the UK. Our first choice for the week of luxury is the Maldives as it ticks the boxes of beaches, reef, over water villas and romantic honeymoon destination plus it is somewhere I have always wanted to visit. Now I have looked into it further it has been suggested that it is not a good choice - simply because there are no direct flights from Australia to Maldives. If for example I fly with Singapore Airlines it would be Australia - Singapore - Maldives - Singapore - London and if with Emirates it would be same only through Dubai. I am estimating that flights from Singapore/Dubai to Maldives will be just over 4 hours.

Has anyone done anything similar? Are there any ways around this? Would you recommend or not recommend? I know the travel advisors have suggested other destinations such as Fiji but it does not have the same appeal as Maldives for some reason!! Any other suggestions or advice welcome!! Thanks!!

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

"but it does not have the same appeal as Maldives for some reason!!" EXACTLY! do whatever you can but go to the Maldives. There is no substitute, especially for what you're looking for. I can recommend:

1) Huvafen Fushi (Ocean Bungalow)

2) Cocoa Island

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

Go Via Dubai, it's your most direct route to get back home. Emirates I know fly from Sydney & Perth depending on what side of Oz you are at.

Go to the Maldives..there is no subsitute!!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

Hi ripcurl77,

Now whilst i'm not a fan of Srilankan Airlines they fly to/from columbo / Brisbane & Sydney. Maldives Columbo is a 1hr flight so will save you having to fly out your way (5hrs+) to get to the Maldives.

Have a look at their website for flight schedules.

derry
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

Thanks for the advice and some of the options posted - at least it is a bit more positive than what I have been getting from travel consultants - I was on the case again today and one told me I would be just as well to fly back to London from Oz and fly back to Maldives and treat it as two separate holidays!! Not really what I was wanting to hear!!

I'm glad everyone is saying that Maldives is worth it though.

U.K.
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

Whilst the Maldives are indeed fantastic I think you would be spending too much time travelling trying to combine it with Aussie.

Fiji is great and some of the islands would give you what you are looking for.So would Tahiti which is much easier to get to from Australia.

Do the Maldives at a later date.

M

Grimsby, England
Level Contributor
274 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

Hi, I agreee with the above post. Four weeks in Australia sounds great. Why don't you leave the Maldives for your first anniversary and go for two weeks instead. Then it will give you something to look forward to next year.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

Sorry Guy's I have to disagree with you. The couple have 5 weeks off! It's there honeymoon. What better place to relax after 4 weeks exploring Australia than The Maldives!! I know after 4 weeks in Oz (We where there this last April) the thought of relaxing on fantastic beaches and remembering the great sights of Oz is a must. So go for it! Finish in the Maldives you'll love it!

Rousey.

Ps And it's on the way home!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

Sorry, just read what your travel agent said and I'm gobsmacked!! My advice, do the travel agrangements yourselves, we did for Oz and it was great. For our last 4 trips to the Maldives we did all the agrangements ourselves. It is pretty easy!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

Hi,

We're doing it the other way around - flying from London - Maldives with a few hours stopover in Dubai with Emirates, then Maldives - Perth with a few hours stopover in Singapore with Singapore Air, and finally Perth - London with a stopover in Dubai with Emirates.

All of the stopovers are only a few hours and it's definitely less time than to fly to London and back to the Maldives! Most flights from the UK to the Maldives aren't direct anyway so you're not really having to do extra travel by having a stopover from Australia to Maldives. We booked our own travel online rather than through a travel agent. Sounds like a great time, have a good time!

derry
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Combining Maldives and Australia

Everyone thankyou for the responses and advice so far I really appreciate it and it has been very helpful!

The positive feedback on the Maldives sounds like it is well worth it so it is good to hear that someone else has wanted to combine both places as well. The reaction I have had from travel agents so far is basically that I am crazy!! So it may actually be a better idea to do the Maldives first as I think I would prefer to do it that way round than not do them at all!

Clem78 - Do you mind me asking were were your flights expensive since you seem to have changed airlines between Emirates and Singapore Air?