We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives in May?

Herts, England
5 posts
Save Topic
Maldives in May?

Weve recently booked our wedding and looking to honeymoon in May. Looking for advice on where to go!

We both fancy the popular over water bungalow experience but there seems to be disadvantages. Bora Bora sounds fabulous but reviews state they lack privacy and I don't like the idea of travelling forever and a day to get down there when we could have a similar honeymoon closer.

Maldives sound perfect except for the weather although May seems to be the beginning of the rainy season. Anyone outthere experience Maldives in May? Where did you stay?

Seychelles have the weather on their side but we really want to be snorkelling and if the sea is rough and not as clear then i'm put off already.

Oooooh what to do!!?? Everyone wants their honeymoon to be the perfect destination but its such a difficult decision when your spending thousands on the hope of everything being perfect and it's so unlikely to achieve everything.

Any ideas of other destinations that offer the ultimate honeymmoon package?

Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Resort Snorkeling
Scuba & Snorkeling
Dive Center Aquaventure
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
itouch Blue Diving Centre
Lessons & Workshops, Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours
Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives in May?

Hi Horse & Hay

Put it in the too difficult tray and call off the wedding!! ;-)))

Regards

Doug

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives in May?

Maldives is BY FAR the right place to go, despite of the rainy season. May can be rainy. But still I would go to the Maldives! The best snorkeling spot in the world with direct access from your rooms.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives in May?

Hi H&H,

Been to MDs in May 5 times very little if any rain if it does its mostly of a night , during the day odd downpour 5 - 10 mins then gone, still hot and sunny --can only get wet once and as you spend so much time in the water you womt notice, even when it does rain , still lots to do. go- go - go for it the MDVs is the best place in the world. word of caution even on honeymoon water villas can be a little isolative, Need more just ask,

Cheers

Rumps.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives in May?

Like the others go for it - we have been 3 times and 4th will be this June, always been end of may /June and so far only a couple of hours rain out of the 6 weeks spent there. Am sure being on honeymoon you will be able to find something to do if it does rain :-)

Sg

Herts, England
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives in May?

Thanks everyone, at least my mind is put to rest of going to the Maldives. Needed to hear from people who have returned as you'll give the honest answers rather then just web advice telling me not to go or holiday companies saying its fine!

I imagine water bungalows probably could be a little isolating, I just don't want to be sitting in a beach bungalow looking out at them all, wishing it was me. Although reading reviews, it sounds like you can always upgrade yourself when you're out there unless I pick somewhere that just doesn't have them and save myself the hassle :))

Herts, England
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives in May?

Can I also ask where you all recommend going in the Maldives?

All inclusive would be nice but some resorts are sounding quite restrictive.

thanks,

Hayley

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives in May?

Hi again Hayley.

As for recomendations, Meeru is good, as is Sun Island, Dhonveli AND kURUDU,AS FOR RESTRICTIVE,

all the islands limit the package in such as you have to pay for the mini bar in the room , you have to pay for cocktails, you pay for trips and diving, other than that they / some limit the use of some bars by restricting the AI package to times, other than that all is ok, have been to 6 islands and never had a problem, depends what you want / need. But food wise you do get so much choice, you do pay for the likes of Lobster or speciality dinning.

Need more just ask.

Cheers

Rumps

San Diego...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives in May?

All very interesting imput on this thread.

What would everyone say is the nicest all inclusive in the Maldives for a honeymoon?

Thanks!

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives in May?

Hi S 2 E

Depends what you class as the best, there are some islands that are exclusive / very expensiveand others in my opinion just as good but not as costly all have the same sea and white beaches same sun but as for choice such a personal thing and for a h-moon well thats personal again. I would recomend the book, Resorts of the Maldives, by Adrian Neville, he has traveled to every resort and gives an honest feedback to all good and bad --Food accomodatin location reef and corals , everything, if you need anything specific just ask, hope this helps.

Cheers

Rumps.

10. Re: Maldives in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 15:17