We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling gear

lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Topic
snorkelling gear

hi everyone,

im off to vakarufalhi in 5wks and i want to do some snorkeling while im out there.

i was just going to hire the equipment but have decided to buy my own now but i dont really know whats good and whats bad.

i have seen some fins are full foot and sone are split fin, i havent got a clue what the difference is and what would be more suitable for me. i want a pair of fins that are nice and light and easy to use, any ideas? also what should i look for in snorkels and masks? are any particular brand better then others?

cheers

stephen

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling gear

Hi Ste

Would look on web for local dive school, but as from lancs let me know and can advise, or they will advise, Light fins will do no good split fins are good in open water, If its just a bit of snorkeling your doing, a pair of slip ons will be ok, snorkels, get one withe a flexable mouth hose, Mask needs to fit your face and should stay on without the strap by sucking in via the nose, should not need to be tight, Can get cheaps sets for 20 quid but pay a bit more and they will last and serve you well, snorkel10/15, Mask 20 40 depending an what you want need, Fins anything from 25 --175, Hope this helps need more just ask,

Cheers

Rumps.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling gear

Steve.

ps also look at post a little lower down,

Rumps

lancashire
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling gear

cheers for that, do you know any good place in lancs i get get some gear from? i live near wigan.

if not do you know any good websites i can get them from? are split fins difficult to use?

cheers

ste

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling gear

ste - split fins are really for divers rather than snorkellers, You can get some good short fins which are light, so easy to pack and you have less chance of damaging coral especially if you are not experienced. Google dive shops /lancastershire and you will get a few to chose from. I prefer to buy in person so you can try them on , otherwise there is a company www.simplysnorkel.com I use them for dive gear

Sg

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkelling gear

Hi steve

As Sg says it really is better to try the mask on, fit is very important otherwise if it keeps leaking it will spoil your snorkelling and its too late to change it once your out there, go to a local dive shop would be my advice

regards susie

oxford
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkelling gear

quick question about snorkels, when I snorkelled many moons ago their were snorkells that had like ping pong balls at the top to stop water coming in the tube rather than having to clear it. I see some similiar products on the market - would anyone recommend them. The previous ping pong style ones I thought had been banned.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkelling gear

Hi Again Steve,

Wigan , dont know of any there but there is a place behind BQ on the 62near Ikea, run by Phil and Paul dont know the name though, i use Aquaventures in Liverpool ask for Rob AND tell him i sent u he will help you out wilth all you need and may give a discount. As others have said splits are for divers, you need snorkeling fimns not as big but will give you a spurt and not as expensive. Ive got some i can let you have very low cost if you Pm me, or i can meet you half way and take you to Aquventures if needed. Cheers

Rumps

8. Re: snorkelling gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 05:31