We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rats? what to do

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Rats? what to do

I have been rather alarmed about recent reports about rats at Komandoo (see last review, of 6 February: "Did see a few rats though, the one that we had hanging out of our roof with blood dripping onto the decking was not a pleasant sight first thing in the morning!" re JBV). We are off to Komandoo - and yes, staying in a JBV - in less than 2 weeks and this has rather taken the shine out of it. So, to get a grip on myself and my overactive imagination, any suggestions what to do if one encounters a rat? Any suggestions welcome (practical tips and humorous ones)!!

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rats? what to do

Take an air rifle? Entertainment on rainy days.........

Zaragoza, Spain
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rats? what to do

Terrible question ¡¡¡¡¡¡

How is this possible? I would die if I see a rat, bad thing, it is true this question? Does anyone know if it has happened in some other island?

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rats? what to do

They say that you're never more than 6 feet from a rat wherever you are in the world so I really wouldn't worry about it......

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rats? what to do

Your spot on Rexy.most of em wear suits here !!!

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rats? what to do

Rex its actully 3 feet and there not rats there Maldivian Hamsters,

Rumps

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rats? what to do

Well I'm sat in my lounge and there ain't no rat within 3ft of me. Like Rex, I thought the stat was 6ft!?! lol

Don't feed them! Don't talk to them! Most Rat's come out at night, so you will more likely not see them, as the Islands are pretty dark at night!! I have seen some on various Islands, really don't bother me, but the Islands do take them seriously and make sure they are always fed and watered!! lol. No seriously the Islands do put bait boxes out etc. They do keep them under control, but you can't literally get rid of them all, unless you bomb the islands!!

Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rats? what to do

Hi

We've been to several islands and have only seen a rat twice on two different islands. Both times it was at night and from several feet away and in both cases it was near the outdoor bar. It just ran away.

I wouldn't worry about it as really it's unlikely you will see one at all. As everyone has already said you are probably closer to one when in the UK.

Have a great holiday, once you arrive there and see how wonderful it is you will forget all your worries.

I'm someone who worries about everything and especially hate bugs like cockroaches which you do sometimes see in the Maldives but it wouldn't stop me going to the Maldives and I just forget about it once I'm there.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rats? what to do

Thanks, everyone! I guess the bleeding one encountered might have been poisoned.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rats? what to do

No Karla, sounds like it was trying to get a drink at the bar!! lol

Broxburn, UK
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rats? what to do

I wish I had never read this now. I am sure I would DIE if I saw one...mind you what a lovely place to be when it's "your time".......joking aside, I am absolutely petrified of them and now I am worried too. Anyone seen any on Huvafen Fushi?

....Rex-Diver...don't you dare come on and say it is the only island over-run with them or something like that as I am likely to totally believe you!!!LOL