We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suprise holiday

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suprise holiday

Hi all, another one here having trouble deciding which island to choose from. I am planning on a suprise holiday for me and my girlfriend Ruth in jan/feb 2010. A while away yet but it's for an anniversary, so i'm planning everything as soon as possible to get the best for what I want.

I have previously been to Meeru island in jan 2002, stayed in one of the beach villas and loved it so much! I would like to go to a similar island, similar size or smaller, I do not fancy a bigger island, but could be pursuaded if I think one deserves a look. It has to be all inclusive. Loved the snorkelling in Meeru so i'm hoping for similar or even better if thats possible! Maybe a water bungalow this time or a jacuzzi beach villa. Would like it a quieter island, our son will be staying at his grans for this holiday! I'm thinking I will propose too, so this all has to be as lush as has been in my dreams since last visiting!

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suprise holiday

ruthless -I would suggest you get hold of a copy of Resorts of the Maldives by Adrian Neville - then have a look at what he says about meeru and then compare it to others of a similar size , his book gives you price range(1-10) and density of accommodation (1-10) compared to size of island - its very interesting I am just complying my wish list for next year!

Sg

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suprise holiday

Thanks Sg2, I shall look for that book now.

I seem to remember I had a Maldives book prior to going in 2002, don't think I have it here but possible my old folks have it, so i'll look that up too.

Anyone else out there whith any suggestions? :)

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suprise holiday

P.S. Just bought the book you recommended. Looking forward to reading it, many times over I imagine too!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suprise holiday

Ruthless ..... the book by Adrian Neville gets outdated within a few months due to all the new resorts being refurbished and changing names. New resorts are appearing all the time. Hope you got plenty of money to spend as prices certainly have rocketed the last few years.

Anyway, islands for you to look at is Kuredu or Villu Reef. A seaplane flight is a must! Komandoo is great if you are going to propose but it certainly will not be cheap. Most resorts are scrapping the AI option due it it pushing the prices up but you could take out that option once you arrive at the resort. Sometimes you are best taking the FB options and then find out the difference for the AI option. Komandoo is charing 50 USD over the FB option PPN for next year! For approx £25 per night each extra I couldn't drink that much if I tried! so could be cheaper to pay for drinks as you drink them.

Travel agents won't release prices until about 12 - 15 months before so you could get some travel brochures and scour them and then pick a few that you like and then shop around, you'd be surprised how prices vary.

Happy Hunting!

....... activegirl

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suprise holiday

Thanks for the info activegirl, the book is already on it's way to me now, but it should give me some good tips of what I want. I shall check out the islands you have recommended for sure.

More advice from all is welcome. :)

montgomery, wales
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suprise holiday

HI RD

Good luck with your search!!

I took my husband on a surprise trip to the Maldives back in August - managed to book it, all correspondence sent to work.. packing without him realising anything was afoot was quite difficult!! We were due to fly out on a Sunday, so as we had to put dogs into kennels on the Sat. I woke him up nice and early with a card with an "Itinerary for the week-end."..... he then knew he was going .... somewhere ..... but where. I was so determined not to let on as had planned with 4 months reviously!! On the Sunday we arrived at Gatwick and I even managed to get through check-in with him still in the dark (check in girl managed to keep "mum" and I put the labels on the bags at the last moment and the check in board luckily just said First Choice .... then made him guess which First Choice flight we were going to be on!!!!!! Thankfully he was well surpirsed and well pleased!! We are at the other end of the scale so to speak, having been married for a fair old time, we are both over 60, all 6 kids launched into their lives, and we now have 5 grand children. ... So just remember, in the years to come, there is always room for romance!!!

Tiggy,

London, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suprise holiday

Tiggy - i hope your husband realises what a lovely wife he has! I would be overjoyed if my boyfriend did that for me!

montgomery, wales
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suprise holiday

Yup, I think he would rather "his bread to fall butter side up"!!!!!

Though I have to add that I am married to one of the nicest guys in the world - sorry all you girls out there, but mine is definitely the BEST!!!! We both might be getting a bit shabby around the edges, but he is most of all my bestest friend and we intend to stagger ever forward into the sunset hand in hand!!!!

Tiggy.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suprise holiday

Nah, sorry Tiggy but I'VE got the best one. Got him 32 years ago too and like a good wine he gets better with each year.

Aren't we both lucky thinking this way eh?

Wid

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suprise holiday

Sorry thijack, but I think I have a pretty good one too. he has even learnt to dive so that when we go back to Reethi in 4 weeks time he can buddy me!!!

Ruthless, only been to Reethi so it's hard for me to compare other islands, but if you read some of the reviews you will see that the house reef is highly recommended by those who have been to a few.

Good luck with your search.

Softail