We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holidays

Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Family holidays

I have 2 active boys 10 & 13. They are competent snorkellers so The Maldives looks great.

BUT most reviews refer to it as a honeymooners paradise.

Resorts ideal for adults looking for gourmet meals & bars are not ideal for those of us with children & I am sure adults looking for peace do not want my boys around.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a family resort.

It does not have to be top of the range.

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holidays

From what i've read in brochures and on the net, you might find Bandos and Kuredu worth a look.

http://www.bandosmaldives.com/

http://www.kuredu.com/

leeds,england
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holidays

Hi

Would definately recommend Bandos. Plenty of kids in the school holidays. Great snorkling just off the beach. Lots of water activities, they also do a bubble trial dive for the over 8's.

There is a kids club but not really aimed at older kids more of a creche.

Older kids tended to hang out at the sports club.

My kids 7 &5 loved it!

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holidays

Hello sidcam,

We too have been researching for Maldives with kids, and have to say Bandos has been highly recommended to us and looking at brochures it offers a lot.

The Conrad was also mentioned by someone we knew who said there were children there who seemed to be always occupied.

Good luck with your search :o)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holidays

We found ourselves in exactly the same situation a month or so ago (2 very active boys; 11 and 8 respectively)

Considered Bandos, Kandooma (opening soon), Sun Island, Conrad, Four seasons @ Kuda Huraa; both One and Only resorts and Soneva Fushi.

Initially decided on Kandooma but realistically it’s an unknown quantity at this stage and its opening date is just to close to our departure date. Does look very good on web site though and the opening specials are pretty attractive.

Ultimately tossed a coin between the Conrad and O&O @ kanuhura and chose the latter on the basis that the Conrad seems to be very expensive once on the ground… and it’s already costing an arm and a leg. Also, the kids club @ O&O has an evening session so it might be possible to get away for a few dinners on our own while leaving the boys in an environment we trust and they enjoy.

Hope we made the right call. Good luck with your decision making!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holidays

Sidcam and Territory,

As you may have discovered, it is very difficult, if near impossible, to organise a Maldives package from Australia. As FITs, my family and I spent countless hours researching and planning our Maldives trip. We had just over 4 weeks to fill and had decided to start our vacation with 10 nights at Mirihi and end with 10 nights at Angsana Ihuru. This left 10 nights in the middle and everything seemed booked. We have a 7 year old mermaid, who has travelled everywhere with us, and our 'must have' was; a good house reef. Someone on this forum PMd me and suggested I take a look at Lily Beach. Their website wasn't too encouraging, compared to others I had looked at, but their All Inclusive prices looked very good and reviews about the house reef were all positive.

Now, I'm bracing myself for a sledging here but.... Mirihi claim they have the best house reef in the Maldives as does Angsana; both these claims are backed up by official travel reviews and government propaganda. Quite frankly, I think that Lily Beach has the best house reef we had the opportunity to snorkel and dive. Your boys would absolutely love it!

On the south side of the island, for the island's length, there is a 25m drop off that houses a vast array of sea life ranging from Giant Morays (counted 6 on 1 snorkel adventure), Octopus, Wrasses, Snappers, all manner of Surgeons, giant Triggerfish, Butterflyfish, Lionfish, massive Jacks, Tuna, Rays, harmless Sharks and Turtles. The current enables you a magnificent drift snorkel. One morning we did the drift 6 times in a row! We would drop in at the East end of the island, drift for 20 minutes to the turtle farm where our daughter would suggest “Again Daddy?” and off we would go scampering along the lagoon edge, stopping occasionally to look at hermits, back to the entry point for another drift. On the North side is the lagoon, coral beds and another 25m drop off. At high tide you can snorkel over the coral where there are thousands of Parrotfish feeding and all the usual sea life you would expect. The lagoon on this side of the island is ideal for swimming and snorkelling and general cooling off when you get too hot. The lagoon also houses some wonderful Emperors, Goatfish, Sand Perch and Gobies. One afternoon we hovered over a pair of Gobies for 25 minutes watching them ‘clean house’!

The island also has a great pool area where they serve drinks and snacks all day. I think you and your boys will really benefit from the AI at the pool. The snacks vary daily from spring rolls to sandwiches to spinach quiche of which there is an endless supply. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are buffet at set times. The buffet caters for everyone and the food quality was excellent. There is a games room with pool table, table tennis, board games and library. The island also has a well equipped gym and excellent spa.

There are daily snorkel safaris on the dhoni of which we missed 2. These trips are excellent and not to be missed, especially Picnic Island! (check out TA photos: South Ari Atoll for a photo of our daughter snorkelling Picnic Island reef with the island in the background).

In an effort to protect the island from sand erosion a sea wall has been built around parts of the island. It won’t be too long before all the islands in the Maldives have to do the same as many have already. Whilst aesthetically the wall detracts from the natural beauty of the island it also adds to the character of this well lived in island. The sea wall is constructed of mesh filled with sea rocks and provides a home for crabs, Damselfish, Octopus, Eels, the local Heron and many more. Snorkelling along the sea wall offers yet another underwater environment to marvel at.

Lily Beach will close while they construct some water villas and ‘refresh’ the rest of the island. Contact Ahmed at Vermillion in Male to see if your travel dates conflict with renovations. Also, check out the Lily Beach reviews on TA. It seems that everyone given the opportunity to vast Lily has as good a time as we did.

...Mickus

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holidays

sorry; last line should read: visit Lily not vast Lily. Although.....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holidays

Thanks for that terrific input Mickus. You are perfectly correct. It is difficult organising a package from this part of the world. We get presented with a limited number of destinations and if they don’t suit you’re on your own.

This is probably the last of our beach only mid year holidays. Wanted to make it not just a good one, but a great one (mind you we were in your wonderful State last year at Broome and Cape Leveque and it was absolutely sensational).

It’s been 22 years since I was in the Maldives (stayed then for 3 glorious weeks at what is now Club Faru). Going to simply chance the weather and accept whatever we get. Will be very interested to see if it’s as good as I remember or whether age has embellished the experience somewhat. We are more or less locked in now. I gather from various reviews that the house reef at Kanuhura is either non existent or in the not so great category. Maybe we can catch a boat somewhere if that proves true? Looking forward to the sea plane and maybe getting us all windsurfing/sailing as much as anything else. Thanks again!

How are you going with the planning Sid?

8. Re: Family holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 13:18