We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which island for mantas

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
which island for mantas

which would be the best island to stay at in june to dive with mantas, i know its the southwest monsoon season and the east side of the atols is best for mantas but WHICH islands can anyone recommend, i prefer a small island

susie

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which island for mantas

Susie, how was thailand. Any link for review to see what we missed!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which island for mantas

Hi Bernese

We usually go to the Maldives during June/July and have stayed at resorts North and South.

We saw plenty of Mantas whilst on Mirihi (South) a few years ago during our dives. Maybe the Southwest monsoon helped.

Saw a few Mantas while on Reethi Beach (North)

Saw no Mantas whilst on Komandoo (North)

I suppose it's a game of chance, good luck and I hope you get to see lots.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which island for mantas

Hi rousey

I havent got round to doing a review yet, le meridien was fantastic (sorry) we had a great time, it was a very busy holiday not like the maldives, Bangkok was manic :-) Khao Lak much more laid back, very cheap to eat and some brilliant places to dine, the diving was awsome on the similin islands and the snorkelling on the surin islands was equally awsome with corals like i have never seen before, but my heart is still in the maldives hence the question

...........susie

U.K.
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which island for mantas

The most we have seen in this season was from Hakuraa in the Meemu Atoll. They were there in large numbers.

Each day the diveleader would ask if we wanted to see the Mantas again or have a look for something different and whenever the concensus was for the Mantas, they were there every time.

It is a small island but with one negative of not having a house reef.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
912 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which island for mantas

Hi Susie,

My husband and I came back from Summer Island at the end of January and were lucky enough to swim with Manta's on our last day. We had a 20 minute boat ride to a cleaning station where we were greeted by 4 manta's. It was the most amazing experience. I guess it's just luck on the day that they are there!

Claire.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which island for mantas

Dived last year in May out of Meeru , Manta point came in at 30 mtrs and settled at 10 5 massive Mantas , FANTASTIC.

Rumps

Ely, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which island for mantas

We went to Royal Island last September and along with two other couples that we met while on the island, we chartered a speedboat and they took us out to dive with the Mantas and it was the highlight of our holiday. They were curious and all swam round us and I even managed to dive down and touch one, it was amazing! There were also Whale Sharks around Royal that week, but unfortunately they were not about the day we went out.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
912 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which island for mantas

Mmmm touching them??? Why do people insist on doing that??!!!

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which island for mantas

Me thinks the same --DONT do it.

Rumps

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews