We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

Something came up in conversation at work today. As it does with a few of us either having just back from holiday or like myself flying off to the Maldives next Tuesday, we got into a discussion about reclining seats on the airplane.

To my amazement, my collegue said that she never reclines her seat back out of 'kindness' to the person behind her. And then another colleague agreed to her and so did another !! I added that I didn't really care and that I recline back fully especially on a night flight and that the fact is its 'my' seat and my comfort comes first than the person behind me ! Well I started something there !

My colleague didn't even recline her seat on her night flight back from the Maldives last year even on a poxy monarch airplane ! (Beks you Crazy Girl !!!)

Am I such a selfish person in wanting to be comfortable - esp on a night flight ?!

lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

Have to agree with the work collegues here Deedee,I don't recline, or if i do only slightly.have to say it winds me up people get on the plane ,we take off,immediately the seat is fully recline, you have to do a double manouvre even to breathe, let alone eat ,or get up to the loo.

Strong feelings about this one, nearly as bad as parents letting kids kick the seat in front of them without telling them off or stopping them....why do they always sit behind me?!!! or recliners in front of me.

Sue

lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

Ps reclining is fine if everyone does it & everyone can sleep on a plane.....I can't, don't know about others.

Sue

London, England
Level Contributor
183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

When things go quiet and most people try and get some sleep on a flight, that is the time to recline.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

I have to also agree with your work colleagues, me nor hubby ever recline our seats, we hate it being done to us so we always consider the people behind us.

Oh and by the way we didn't do it this year on a poxy Monarch airplane so we must be crazy also, well actually we probably are Lolol.

Don't worry i am not at all offended so won't zap your message.

Lolololol

Glenys

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

This is a difficult one. I don't usually recline as I can't sleep on a plane even 14 hours back from LA!!! Coming back from Maldives this time, I checked the person behind who was fast asleep so slightly reclined, but the person in front, twice sent drinks and books flying off my table by recling fully and suddenly with great force!!! First time I was lucky as the meal tray was still on and the glass of wine filled that, the second time all down my t-shirt!! Not pleased.

I think you just have to be sensible and you could just warm the person behind you that you are reclining.

Softail

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

Deedee, this was a great thread on the airline forum some time back and got 100's of replys, what have you started!!lol

I do recline, slightly, but always ask, and ensure seat is up for meals etc. If you don't want to ask look to see if they have reclined, then away you go. If you don't want the chap in front to recline, go on the web and buy 'Knee blockers'! It's a little device that fits in the seat in front of you and stops it reclining!! very naughty!!

Mark

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

Hey Rousey can you really buy them??? I may run out and buy some for my next flight lol.

I do agree that if everyone has gone to sleep and those behind have reclined then i suppose there is no harm in it.

But the ones i absolutely hate with a passion are those that as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off, wham seat reclined instantly, and my hubby always seems to get one of them in front of him.

Glenys

Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

Hi

We normally recline if it's a night flight coming back from the Maldives as we have to try and sleep as we have a fair drive home from the airport.

We only recline once dinner is over and the lights turned down and we always check that the people behind us have also reclined. If they have reclined then I think it's fair to recline.

On our horrible Monarch flight back from the Maldives this week we didn't recline at all because the people behind us had those awful seats that can't recline so in that situation we didn't think it was fair to do so even though it left us squashed as the people in front of us reclined.

I think it's acceptable to recline on long haul but I have been on short flights to Ireland and Italy and had people recline as soon as we took off on a day time flight.

Siobhan

London, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

Oohhhh, l like this thread!

Its such a tough one! I will a little, but generally dont UNLESS person in front does, in which case, l hope the person behind me does too, etc, etc! Am only 4.11 so room wise lm ok to be honest - its OH who's 6.3 that suffers!

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To Recline Or Not To Recline ?? Your Thoughts Please !!

I got a problem here.

I must be weird ... no don't answer that one ... but I think it probably depends on how much it bothers you when other people do it , as to whether you yourself recline. I don't mind at all 'cos I feel it's their right to be comfy so I therefore do recline. I also have a very dodgy back which complains like hell when I'm stuck in that awful upright begging position. You've got me thinking now though!

Perhaps they should have recline/non recline sections of the plane like there used to be smoking/non!

Wid