We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

Hello!

I find this forum very helpful and I am hoping to get some good advice for an important decision. We are planning on a honeymoon to the Maldives this July and not sure between Mirihi or Veligandu. If there are people out there familir with both or either one, I would very much appreciate your input. I was originally set on Mirihi until I cam across Veligandu. Some factors we need to consider: food, house reefs for snorkelling, location, costs, etc. Also, it seems like Veligandu underwent some recent renovations? Is that right? And, I'm wondering if that project is completely done by now? Let me know of other tips you have.

Boston
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

P.S. Also, if you can, please recommend which villas to request for in either resorts if possible.

London, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

........Hi, haven't been to either of those islands.. yet..!! Will try Mirihi next, BUT i know from posts on TA that Mirihi is very popular and gets booked up in advance VERY quickly, so it may be a matter of what island has the availability as to the choice... i think you need to make a decision and enquire asap...

I am sure you will get responses from folk who have been to both islands........... BUT my foremost worry is that you say you want to get booked for THIS JULY and that is very worrying as it is not too long away, we are almost end of April NOW!

I know Mirihi has a very good house reef from heresay, but know nothing of the other island YET!

....I think you need to hurry with that decision!!!!!

.......Sorry if this is not very helpful but the Maldives is the absolute perfect choice for honeymoon and it would be a shame IF YOU HAVE left it too late, to go to the island of your choice!

.............Good Luck, good choice, regards

....................the DmM...x....

Boston
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

thanks for the info. we are currently booked with Mirihi but can still cancel without penalty until a couple of weeks before our arrival since i booked with them directly and not through a tour operator. being from the US, there are not a lot of tour operators that i can go to for the Maldives so i am relying on my own research work to make the best decision. TA has been an awesome tool for this.

montgomery, wales
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

Having been to Veligandu before the renovations, I would say that the house reef is not particularly good, so Mirihi would be a far better bet. Also, Veligndu now has a mass ot water bungalows so looks more like stilt city ..... shame.

London, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

.........Hi again, Phew... glad to hear you are at least booked, at one of them!.....

Mirihi would be my choice, but then again, havent been to the other island, cannot wait to go back to the Maldives.....

.........Heres hoping you hear from a few more folk on TA re these two resorts, have you read all the reviews, top left hand box marked 'Search' just key in Mirihi reviews or Veligandu reviews and read any info there...

...........hope you get more help from TA, agree it is a 'awesome' tool..... folk on here helped me in my choice of island for our family, and they were totally correct, would always refer here on TA and ask questions, folk are very good and well informed!

...............So good luck on TA, and congrats on the wedding and honeymoon etc... you will not regret the decision of a Honeymoon in the Maldives..!

..............bestwishes and regards the DmM..x.

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

Hi

I would def agree with tiggy about veligandu, the currents can be very strong there too, the best part for snorkelling is on the sand bank but that is where the strong current is, the better house reef is mirhi

regards susie

oslo
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

Hi Pinoy -

if you have a booking with Mirihi, do not doubt it!!

It is a great island - very beautiful, with a fab reef.

You will also have the option of going on great excursions, like manta snorkle-safari, etc. (see my pictures)

Having been to both, though Veli before the renovation, you can't go wrong with Mirihi.

(I do not know your preferences, but if you can get the beach villas, I would go for them - then again you might WANT to stay in the waterbungalow...)

Have a great journey!

;-b

Seattle, USA
Level Contributor
274 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

Mirihi without any doubt. It is one of the best resort islands around, especially on a honeymoon. Don't do otherwise.

Boston
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

thanks everyone for your input. i am confident with mirihi however i just found out that for the same price as staying there on a breakfast only meal plan, i can stay at a jacuzzi water villa at veligandu with a FULL meal plan. and if you do the math for a week stay, that is a big difference in price??? and i'm sure our meals at mirihi won't be cheap either.

Seattle, USA
Level Contributor
274 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mirihi or Veligandu??? Help!!!

Pinoy Jetsetter,

I understand the $$$ issue but unless you have been to the Maldives before you should do it right the first time. Unless you have a huge appetite you are talking about less than $1000 more for a week. Considering the flight from Boston to Male (40+ hours RT), the special occasion honeymoon, etc., I would suggest thinking more about the island and experience than $1000 --- or course it's not my money :)

Another plus about Mirihi is the small feel of the place and the wonderful a las carte restaurant on the dock.

In any case enjoy and congats on your marriage.