We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treatment of staff...

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Treatment of staff...

(NB This refers to a recent stay at Lily Beach resort, South Ari Atoll, Maldives)

One thing I would like to add and that is about the VIPs (friends of one of the owners) who stayed at Lily Beach (LB) for about a week whilst we were there before its closure. They treated the staff in a very bad way, for example the restaurant staff were not allowed to finish their dutes on time (9.30am, 2pm, 9pm) so if the VIPs wanted their breakfast at 11am or dinner 11pm, the waiters and chefs were kept waiting for them. This happened at all meal times and the staff used to get very little time to rest, we found it very upsetting. It also happened at the Pool bar, one member of staff, we were shocked to see still serving drinks at 2am! They (VIPs) had the music extremely loud one night, so loud that guests and the staff were kept awake, this went on until about 3am. We walked past one morning to watch our sunrise to find vomit in the pool bar. (Classy VIP vomit) The PB was in such a mess and the waiters always got up for 8am to clean the area whether their shift started early or in the afternoon. Now, we have all been treated like VIPs at LB, so why does one need to ask for anything more?

The Pool Bar one evening was turned in to a restaurant for these VIPs, a buffet dinner was set up, oh yes, meal time was set at around 10.30pm. We felt very uncomfortable sitting in the Pool bar like we shouldn't have been there and yet, we had paid for this holiday whilst these VIPs were there on a free trip. Another time the terrace at the main bar was reserved for these 'VIP's and they didn't even bother to show up! The staff felt terrible about this, turning guests away espcially those who had been to the resort for their 18th time! We don't have a gripe about people getting a free holiday but we have a big issue about people who think that they are better than everyone else and taking over the island without giving any regard or care to staff members and guests.

We hated seeing the staff so upset, they love to make every one happy, it makes them happy. Even when they are under pressure, they (staff) hide their true feelings and won't show you that they are unhappy. And thats one of the reasons we have loved LB so much, because the staff mean so much to us, they have such strong spirits.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Treatment of staff...

Hope you write a very strong letter to the owner sharing your experience. Let us know if you get a reply!!

maldive
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Treatment of staff...

I've been working in resorts since 4 years and unfortunatly every time some VIP guests are coming, the management behaviour is always like that...

In my opinion it's not VIP foult but management's foult that allow this.

Sometimes we had to work longer for the VIPS and we couldn't get even our commissions because they were in FOC....what to do....

Rich people stile....

Bye

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Treatment of staff...

Hi Rousey and Rappu,

Unfortunately, we can't really complain to the owner because he was one of them. I thought therefore it would be best to high light their treatment of staff on the Internet, not that they (VIPs) would learn anything from it or care!

The 'local management' were absolutely fine and basically had their hands tied. They were in dispair at the goings on but there was nothing they could do. It just left us with a slightly bitter taste in our mouths. The VIPs kept everyone waiting at their beck and call but we still had a fanatsic time because the staff are wonderful hardworking people and we have made so many friends there.

We wish that life could be better for the staff and guests would treat them with the respect that they deserve. Our motto, respect others the way you wish to be respected.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Treatment of staff...

This whole story makes me SO sad ... and mad too. What is the supposedly civilised world coming to when sweet, honest, decent, hardworking people like those on the islands get treated by the so-called better-off (financial sense only). Long live dogs. I am apalled.

Wid

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Treatment of staff...

It is sad but actually it shows the side of the Maldives we dont often dwell on - Money talks, in this part of the world and you only have to look at who actually owns the islands and surprise surprise most are members or have links to the Gov. All we can do is highlight it, make travellers more informed and show the staff on the islands we visit that not everyone behaves like that and we appreciate their service.

Sg

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Treatment of staff...

Hey, I'd still write to the owner and tell them how it made you and other holiday makers feel. Might make him think twice?!?!

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Treatment of staff...

Hi

I agree with rousey, regardless of the fact that he was one of them in fact all the more reason to do it i think

regards susie

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Treatment of staff...

I absolutely agree with Rousey and Bernese, the owner should be written to and told how much it appalled you and the other guests, that the staff were treated in such a terrible manner.

Unless they are told in no uncertain terms that it is something we cannot tolerate they will never change.

I am just so glad that i never encountered this on my 2 trips to the Maldives, as i don't think i could have kept my mouth shut.

The staff on the islands work hard enough as it is and as we all know are the most wonderful and lovely of people, it really makes my blood boil to think they can be treated this way.

Glenys

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Treatment of staff...

I was going to start a new thread for this but as it is of a similar thing it belongs on here. The first link is about a strike at Diva Island (the old White Sands) and the second one is about a travel agency in Male'.

www.minivannews.com/news/news.php?id=4557

http://www.miadhu.com.mv/news.php?id=6857

10. Re: Treatment of staff...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 12:22