We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

xSilverstreakx
13 posts
Save Topic
Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

Hi,

I just recently returned from my honeymoon at Baros in the Maldives. The weather was on and off (as to be expected during the rainy season). The rooms were fantastic (both water bungalow and beach villa). We really enjoyed the small island setting and the facilities.

But I wanted to ask those who have been to several different resorts: Where do you go for the best marine life?

At Baros we were unable to spot any of the 3 turtles that are said to visit the house reef the entire time we were there. We saw some schools of fish but not as many as I was hoping. Reef sharks were abundant and the most exciting part of the trip. I saw one ray briefly.

While it was an excellent first time to the Maldives I'd really like to find a resort with a house reef that has lots of schools of fish, turtles, rays, big fish, all in abundance. It'd be nice to see these the animals on a regular basis rather than have to play hide and seek with them. Maybe I was expecting too much and there is no such place, but if there is I'd really like to find out where.

Me and my wife will be moving to the States next month and the Maldives is pretty far away. But if we can find a resort with abundant marine life like I described above it would be worth the trip and more (especially coupled with the island setting).

So any thoughts? Where has really blown you away? The resort I have a feeling might be what I'm looking for is Mirihi. But I'd love to have lots of feedback before we book another expensive vacation ;)

xSilverstreakx
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

bump.

Any thoughts? If there isn't a place you know of like that I'd like to hear that too. I might be expecting too much :)

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

Went to Reethi Beach last year and didn't see the house reef turtle once. However this year I was up at sunrise and saw him 5 mornings out of 12. I am not an expert but I don't think you will see lots of shoals of reef whilst snorkelling but I am surprised that you didn't see lots of varieties of fish.

When I did my first dive the instructor gave us a briefing including what we might see, but he said say the only thing he would guarentee is that we would get wet!!!

Softail

xSilverstreakx
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

I like the guarantee to get wet :)

I'm sure it's better to go diving than snorkling to see these creatures, but my wife isn't really comfortable with diving....yet :) I'm still trying to convince her.

Heusden-Zolder...
Level Contributor
145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

Mirihi has an excellent reef.

We saw turtles (3 different ones) blacktip, whitetip sharks, Stingray, eagle ray and I don't know how may different fishes.

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

XSilverstreakx,

Such a place exists and it is Mirihi. Cocoa island also has good snorkeling where you see larger animals, pelagics since it is located on a channel. And lots of variety.

Biyadhoo (budget and very basic) and Soneva Fushi are some other islands which offer what you're looking for.

xSilverstreakx
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

Phil frederix-Did you see that all during snorkling? Thanks for the info!

azurelagoon-Yeah Mirihi sounds great. Would you say Cocoa island has be snorkling than Mirihi in terms of larger animals, turtles, rays, etc?

I'm surprised that you said Soneva Fushi also has what we're looking for. I thought Soneva Fushi was known for its beautiful rooms but had subpar snorkling. I'll have to look into it again. Thanks for the advice!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

Hi

I've not been to Mirihi (can't afford it!) but it gets excellent write ups - both for the resort and the snorkelling.

Biyadhoo has been mentioned above. An excellent, small, traditional island (only 3*) with a great house reef, loaded with masses of fish, rays etc. I've been twice and am booked for a third time. Accommodation is a bit basic - but everything works - so it all depends what you want from a resort.

OD

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

XSilverstreakx - Mirihi has better snorkeling than Cocoa, but say, you have a better chance of seeing Napolean Wrasse passing through Cocoa's channel.

Mirihi is not located on a channel, so less chance of seeing larger fish, but coral is much better, and has more reef fish variety. So I would definately choose Mirihi over Cocoa for snorkeling unless, you have particular interest for very big fish which may cruise the channel once a while.

Also, Mirihi is very close to the famous Manta Point, so you'll get the chance to snorkel among Mantas, such a special experience. The bottom line is, snorkeling doesn't get any better than at Mirihi.

Soneva GILI has bad snorkeling, Soneva FUSHI is very good. But Mirihi is better.

middx
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

We went to Mirihi in January, our first visit to the maldives so nothing to compare it to. But the snorkeling was astounding there were so many different varieties of fish, for me at first almost too many fish especially the larger ones as I was a little nervous snorkeling but I soon got over it!

As well as the snorkeling the island is superb and there is no aspect I think could be improved on.

xSilverstreakx
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from my 1st trip to the Maldives (want expert advice)

Well Mirihi definitely sounds like what I'm looking for. I can't believe there's a chance you can snorkle with mantas!

One last question: How is Biyadhoo compared to Mirihi? Only in terms of snorkling and sea life. I noticed a lot of people recommended Biyadhoo. Do they have comparable snorkling to Mirihi in terms of turtles, rays, lots of fish, etc?