We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any place to see whale sharks in North Ari Atoll?

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Any place to see whale sharks in North Ari Atoll?

I heard whale sharks can be seen at South Ari Atoll in the high season near Sun Island, but I was wondering if there is another place/channel to spot whale sharks around North Ari Atoll in the high season.

Also a similar place to the Manta Point?

Hopefully, we'll be staying in a resort in North Ari Atoll next February, and wondering if we can ever get the chance to snorkel with mantas or over a whale shark?

I suspect it will be very expensive to travel to the South Ari with a speedboat with the hope of seeing them there...

Also does anyone know if one can snorkel with hammerheads at the Hammerhead Shark Point?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
North Ari Atoll
North Ari Atoll
Alifu Atoll
Manta Point
Manta Point
49 Reviews
Maldives
oslo
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any place to see whale sharks in North Ari Atoll?

Hi there Azure -

don't know if this is of any help, but found this info.

www.regal-diving.co.uk/home/…

and this one -

http://www.video.scubadata.com/index.php?tag=Northern+manta+maldives&PHPSESSID=9f57a3fabb5add8a1ed9fee21df00f34

amazing footage here!!

Now if you can get this experience snorkeling, I don't know...

But you know where to go to find it ;)

Best,

;-b

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any place to see whale sharks in North Ari Atoll?

Hi, Burmu, thanks, will look at the links just now. I searched the athuruga map on the net everywhere, also searched with images, but no luck. It doesn't seem to exist on the net. But maybe the resort can send it to you.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any place to see whale sharks in North Ari Atoll?

Hi Azure,

North Ari Atoll high season will mean the western edge of the atoll for these type of sightings.

The best dive sight for all of the above at this time of year would be Rasdhoo Madivari Island/Reef this is the famous Hammerhead point which involves diving from the spot around sunrise but to my knowledge you will not get the chance to snorkel with them as they travel though the deep water channel (above named) this reef is fairly deep so no point unless you are a diver.

The westen edge of the atoll at this time of year will have more than one manta point and the dive centre of any island will know where recent sightings have been and will know where to take you for snorkelling & possibly a chance at spotting whale sharks.

Regards

Emu

Mentioned in this post
North Ari Atoll
North Ari Atoll
Alifu Atoll
Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any place to see whale sharks in North Ari Atoll?

Thanks, Emu.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any place to see whale sharks in North Ari Atoll?

Hi

With regards to hammerhead point they do drop you into the blue and you have to descend to 30 metres to see the hammerheads, it was an awsome experience but as above post says not posible snorkeling

regards susie

6. Re: Any place to see whale sharks in North Ari Atoll?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 22:17