We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about gifts

Bulkington
Level Contributor
108 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Question about gifts

Hi

I have a question which might seem a little strange, but here goes..

We have been on holiday before to Dominican, Mexico and Cuba and have found that in these destinations the room attendants are generally from very poor backgrounds.

We take small gifts with us to give to the maids and people who work in the areas of the resort such as small toys for children, pencils etc and hair slides and gifts for female workers, we have found that these are generally recieved better than money as the staff are not usually able to get hold of these types of items, we leave tips aswell of course

My question is, would this be appropriate and considered ok to do in the Maldives as if so i will take some things with me, but if not i will leave

I would appreciate any experiences or advice anyone has to offer

Thanks

Clare

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about gifts

I could be wrong (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am!) but I think a lot of the people who work on the islands have familes back in India, Sri Lanka etc. who they only see once in a blue moon. Therefore I would say the tips are well appreciated because I know they send money back home to their families. Its a nice thought though.

There seemed to be very few female workers in Reethi Beach for example compared to resorts in the places you have mentioned(and I have visited all three)Somehow the Maldives seems a classier place and I don't know how "gifts" would be accepted because of the distance most have to travel to see their families.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about gifts

Woody is correct ,

most of the work force are from Sri Lanka and India and a few Maldivians from the local islands and Male,Cash is best for them as they send money orders home on a regular basis, there are NO children on the resort islands.

The 1 thing that is greatly appreciated are Premire Football shirts, or footie shirts in genral. MP3 players which are not expensive to us are also sought after, although i only give these to those who go out of there way to help and or do extra.

Rumps

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about gifts

Hi

We found "designer" baseball caps went down well too

regards susie

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about gifts

We took Premier League football shirts to giv eon top of usual tip - only to find that the roomboy was unusually largely built (we brought small to medium size shirts based on observations from previous visit) and the waiter did not like / play football (was into cricket), and only had a small daughter! Both were Maldivian. Only non-Maldivian I spoke to were the spa therapists, who were from Bali and India. Oh, and on Komandoo local women from neighbouring island work in gardens etc (they commute daily, by boat of course). Overall, would stick to cash.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about gifts

Footy Shirts,Chewing Gum and Cheap Shades all go down a Storm as does the Good Old Dollar

( Lifesaver Sighs, and thanks the State for allowing us nearly Two Dollars a Pound hee hee ) LOL

Bulkington
Level Contributor
108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about gifts

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice, think i will stick to just dollars and keep the luggage lighter

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about gifts

Money is probably best for the hotel workers, but if you're planning on visiting some local islands on excursions, you may want to bring a few gifts for children.

8. Re: Question about gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 21:19