We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling Diving......Maldives V Red Sea ?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Snorkelling Diving......Maldives V Red Sea ?

Which do you think is the best place?

Have been to Sharm el Sheikh and thought it was excellent, but never been to Maldives (yet), but going 7th September.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling Diving......Maldives V Red Sea ?

Hi Steve,

Have been to both --many times and in my opinion--Maldives is the better all round.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling Diving......Maldives V Red Sea ?

Hi Steve

I don't dive, but hubby reckons like Rumps that the Maldives was far better than the Red Sea.

Have a great time in the Maldives, be prepared to be addicted on your return.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,444 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling Diving......Maldives V Red Sea ?

OK Steve - sticking my head above the parapet here but....I think the Red Sea was better! HOWEVER I also think I visited the Maldives at a bad time of year. The weather had been stormy and the sand had been whipped up by the waves, resulting in poor visibility. If I had never been to the Red Sea I would have said the Maldives was great...but I have and I'm going back in October and I think I saw as many fish in Sharm as I did in the Maldives.Having said all that how can the concrete jungle that is Sharm el Sheikh EVER compete with the natural beauty of the Maldives? I know we are not talking above the water but lets here what YOU think when you have been - and let us know!

Have a great holiday!

P.S. I know where I would rather be but given that I can afford to go to Sharm once a year and the Maldives once a lifetime...well you work it out!

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling Diving......Maldives V Red Sea ?

Never been to Sharm too commercial - however have dived south Rea sea and have several friends who have dived both Red sea and Maldives as well.

IOO - red sea = more wreck sites and coral is in far better condition also currents not to strong with a few exceptions but sites can get crowed also choice between shore and boat diving ignoring house reefs.

Maldives - Only house reef or Boat diving,few wrecks mainly purpose sunk, plenty of fish life both reef and big stuff, some of the best current dives around also and possibility which I like most is that fact it is rare to have more than one dive boat on a site unlike egypt.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling Diving......Maldives V Red Sea ?

I have dived both quite a few times and they are very different,offering very different things, as Sg says wrecks are much better in the red sea and in parts coral is better too but it is recovering well in the maldives, as for quantity of fish life on the reefs that has to go to the maldives and the amount of people at a dive site that also has to go to the maldives very rare you find another dive boat at the site you are diving unlike the red sea, sometimes you have a job to see anything with the amount of other divers there, i wish i had been diving when the red sea was not so popular

regards susie

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling Diving......Maldives V Red Sea ?

Hi Steve,

Depends what you want from the dive? type of experiences? area of the Maldives you are diving? and on which side of the Atoll.

South west monsoon means that visibility will be better on the western edge of the atoll(s) dived, but depends on currents, and lower visibility on the eastern edge, but with great chances to dive with Mantas and possibly whale sharks.

Reef Sharks are also more active in the southwest monsoon (west side) due to increased currents.

As far as coral goes - between 0-10metres the red sea (ras mo & tiran island) has far more colour than the Maldives, below 10 metres and there is not a lot in it really, but the Maldives is more exciting given the currents/ reef formations/fish life/encounters with pelagics.

Fish life on the reef drop offs is also far greater than the Red Sea (Southern Egypt excluded).

Given the time of year you are travelling the diving will depend on weather conditions and location.

7. Re: Snorkelling Diving......Maldives V Red Sea ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 07:21
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor