We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Maldives

Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in Maldives

Hello

We have our honeymoon in the Maldives this Christmas/ New Year and it will be our first trip. We're staying in Kurumba and wonder if it all restaurants/bars will be open on Christmas Day? I believe they have a big gala dinner on Christmas Eve but don't want to be left stuck on Christmas Day!

Thanks in advance.

Rx

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Maldives

Hi Joe,

Think of the island as 'The hotel' so everything will be open, The country is Muslim so they do not celebrate christmas, the island will however be decorated to cater for the western 'holiday makers'

Hope this helps

Regards

Emu

Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Maldives

Excellent...many thanks for the quick reply.

I won't be having to buy out the snack shop then so we have something to eat Christmas day!

Rx

London
Level Contributor
869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Maldives

Yep - I'm out in the Maldives for Xmas day also with my Girlfriend. Can't wait to go scuba diving on Xmas day in my santas hat - ho ho ho!!!!!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Maldives

Were in the Maldvies for Xmas too!! Can't wait to spend xmas in such a beautiful place ........

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Maldives

I am SOOOOOO jealous all of you who replied to this message. Christmas in the Maldives is my idea of heaven. Have a great time all you lucky people...one day, one day ...I will get there and leave all the turkey and tinsel behind.

W xx

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Maldives

We spent last christmas & new year (2007) in the Maldives, and christmas eve was a full moon. It was so romantic in the shallow water under the full moon. Christmas day is my husbands birthday so extra special for him. You will have an absolutely fabulous time.

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Maldives

I have turned gren with envy. Hope you all have a fabulous time.

Softail

Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Maldives

Thanks! Can't wait and glad to hear its a good time to go. We were thinking of buying a snorkel set to take with us. We're looking for snorkel, mask and flippers. We'll need something quite light to keep the luggage weight down but don't want to spend too much as its not something we use too often unfortunately! Can anyone recommend somewhere to look or any particular sets?

Rx

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Maldives

hi

google your local dive shop, they will be able to help you regards fitting etc, there is nothing worse than an ill fitting mask which leaks all the time, i know some people on here have got them from local sports shops and paid very little for them but IMO you get what you pay for, sometimes yes you can be lucky and buy cheap and it fits but just be careful, everyones face shape is different so what fits one person wont fit another, a dive shop will explain how to try on a mask and various different makes that you can try

regards susie

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Maldives

I SO agree with Susie. I borrowed my husbands snorkel for going to the Maldives and it leaked so much I couldn't use it. He uses it without any problems. When I was in Sharm in October I bought my own mask,(not expensive) but I had to try on 3 or 4 different kinds before I got a good fit - and that included the angle of the tube of the snorkel - not just the mask - some of them just were not the right shape for my face. If your snorkel and mask don't fit properly you will be like me and miss all the delights under the sea - and if it's your only trip to the Maldives you need to get it right.

Happy Christmas

Woody x

(jealous, jealous, jealous, greeeeen with envy!)