We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids - Where!?!

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kids - Where!?!

Hi,

We are looking at travelling to the Maldives in Dec 09, with 2 kids.

My question is has anyone gone to the madlives with 2 kids (ages 8 & 2 years), do they accomodate, if so where did you stay?

I have looked at several tour operators and most only say rooms sleep 3 people?

We were looking at Kuredu Island Resort? I know they are currently undergoing a revamp on the island.

we are looking at travelling Dec 09, so hopefully I think this is due to be completed by then? Which is very appealing knowing that when we go, there wont be any unexpected work being done!

I have contacted Kuredu direct and they state they can accomodate 2 kids in one room, no problem but again some of the tour operators say upto 3 people etc.

any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kuredu
Kuredu
Lhaviyani Atoll
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids - Where!?!

Lisalou - as has been said before - light the blue touchpaper and stand well back - Oh - and have a great holiday wherever you end up!

Woody x

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids - Where!?!

Hi

The two islands that are most suited to kids are Bandos and sun island

regards susie

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids - Where!?!

you could also try looking at Bandos island which is known for a pro-kids attitude.

Sg

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids - Where!?!

Hi

Thanks for your help. woodybark - what do you mean "light the blue touchpaper and stand well back"??

I have looked at Bandos and I agree this looks good for kids, however this is only a FB basis, ideally looking also for All Inc basis.

So will probably stick to Kuredu Island??

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids - Where!?!

With reference to "light the blue touchpaper and stand well back" it is a bit of an emotive issue on here. Some people have a problem with children going to the Maldives.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids - Where!?!

Hi LisaLou,

Kuredu will be fine for kids, as would Sun Island or Meeru.

Kuredu does take up to four people per room, so ignore the tour operator just have a read through the Kuredu website for more details.

Regards

Emu

Mentioned in this post
Kuredu
Kuredu
Lhaviyani Atoll
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids - Where!?!

As Gengy said Lisalou - its an emotive subject but it seems there are islands which welcome children as other posters have suggested a couple. Hopefully you have already earmarked your little piece of paradise. Have a fab holiday

W x

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids - Where!?!

Hi lisalou

You just have to do a search on the forum for "children" and you'll see what Woody means. The Maldives tends to be a place where couples and honeymooners go to relax and get away from children (ether their own or other people's) so for quite a few of us forumites the idea of having them share our paradise island isn't fantastic.

However, there are some islands that families love and couples who don't want to have children around tend to avoid. I have a friend who travelled with her 3 year old to Bandos and she had a fantastic time. It was very child friendly and indeed there were more families than children. Also other friends regularly go to Anantara with their 8 year old and they think that it is perfectly set up for their needs.

You might also look at Paradise Island and Sun Island. I can't answer for Kuredu as I only know it as a good island for diving. Also you mention room size. In some resorts you can get two adjoining rooms or a suite and then you will not be cramped. Many resorts say that the villas can accommodate a small bed for a child or third person, but in myexperience of having been to six different islands, I would have said that even with a put you up bed in there it would be cramped so would recommend a suite for children the age of yours.

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
Kuredu
Kuredu
Lhaviyani Atoll
Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids - Where!?!

Just a pointer not sure if you know. AI in the Maldives is alot less than in other parts of the world. The reason I mention this is that you are looking to take two children and things like icecreams are not included - along with expresso and capachinos - although soft drinks are.

The islands that have been recommended are the usual ones which are mentioned because they cater more for children.

Children are a very immotive subject on this forum and therefore I suggest you look at other posts.

Softail

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids - Where!?!

Oh right, thanks.

I can understand that - but then they should go to a couples only resort or a resort thats perhaps not so kids friendly??

Also, people that take children aren't just going to be any old family as it is expensive place to visit.

Our children are both well behaved and loved by friends we make on the islands we visit and hotel staff. So much so that last year my eldest was given two gifts from the hotel staff and the diving school used to take him out on their boat on a daily basis, which he loved! He even used to help them unload some of the equipment.

Cheers for the tip though!!