We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night snorkel at reethi

Worcester UK
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
Save Topic
night snorkel at reethi

Has anyone done this trip?Just wondered if it is to be recommended. Do you go out in the boat or along the house reef with a guide (and torch!)?also OH is stressing whether the is a safe in the standard rooms?I am sure i read somewhere that there is but can't remember where - apple crumble is getting closer - only 4 nights to go till lift off!!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: night snorkel at reethi

Hi Mrs Baggie,

I have not done it as part of a trip!! (but it would be guided on the reef) but I have dived and snorkelled the house reef at night with a buddie, it depends on the time of year as to how good it is, if there is a bit of plankton in the water (June-Nov) then it is more fun as it will light up in the water when your torch is off, there is good life on the reef at night and is always worth doing!! not the best house reef in the world but still very good especially if you have never done this sort of thing before.

It is important to find a good entry/exit point on the reef and feel comfortable with the reef so you can tell where you are roughly! as at night you only have the marker bouys to know where the channels in/out of the reef edge are!. also worth noting is to make sure you take two torches (one each) and use one at a time! otherwise if you run out of battery then you will be in trouble. One night on reethi reef my battery only lasted 10 mins when it should have been more like 30-40, I challenged the dive centre staff and said that this could have been dangerous, but they were not interested!

If you do go at night make sure you check in/out with the dive centre. start off at about 7.15 as it is not completely dark at this time, that will give you time to feel comfortable in the water before you set off and once it is dark you can only see what your torch sees.

But you must try this if you have never done it before!

Regards

Emu

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: night snorkel at reethi

Hi

I always take a little back up torch with me, just attach it to strap of my swimsuit :-)

regards susie

Worcester UK
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: night snorkel at reethi

Thanks for the advice. think I will do it but as part of an organised group. As its my first Maldives trip I am sure the reef will appear amazing day or night!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,134 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: night snorkel at reethi

Oh My God Mrs Baggie - only 4 days to go

We wish you well on your Maldives trip

You'll have a ball you know.

And when you get to paradise

Remember what you said

Apple crumble, pina colada

You won't get off your bed!!

I'll be thinking about you when you're there

So have the greatest time

Don't worry about that blessed flight

I'm sure you'll be just fine.

We'll sit and shiver here at home

While you laze in the sun

But remember to write a review, my friend

When your holiday time is done!

Woody x

P.S. There IS a safe in the standard rooms.

P.P.S. Is this the same woman who said she needed a torch to get back to her room?- and now she is thinking about NIGHT SNORKELLING!!!

Worcester UK
Level Contributor
437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: night snorkel at reethi

Thank you so much Woody bark. I feel as though all hte reethi peolple on this site should be there as well!!! Only 2 nights now and not sleeping as so excited - like a child waiting for father Christmas. Don't mind the sea at night just not too good with land creepy crawlies jumping out on me in the dark!Suitcase packed, new camera arrived this morning, cheap waterproof camera (vivitar) bought in the sales, earplugs for seaplane(HELP) and only 2 days left at work. CAN@T WAIT but thanks to all the TA reethi's for all the advice. Will post on forum if I can access internet don't have a laptop so depends what is there and promise will do my first TA review on my return!!!

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: night snorkel at reethi

I have a stinking cold, I am up to my eyes in costumes (wardrobe mistress for a theatre company in my spare time) for our Panto which opens in 2 days, extremely busy at work with a new boss and I am now so GREEN with evny that you are about to fly out.

Woody said is all - and very poetically too!!!

have a fab, fab time. We will wait to see your review.

Softail

PS Been in standard rooms twice and both had safes.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: night snorkel at reethi

Have a great time, make sure you post your review before mid March, it's nearly 2 weeks since the last one already!

Coupla things - do they not provide ear plugs for the seaplane, and where did you pick up your waterproof camera?

8. Re: night snorkel at reethi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 03:18