We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't Feed The Fishes

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Don't Feed The Fishes

I mentioned this in the review of Biyadhoo that I have submitted to TA and thought I would mention it on the general forum.

We noticed an increasing number of people wandering out into the lagoon at low tide and hand feeding the fish. As a consequence, the fish quickly came to regard any swimmer or snorkeller as a source of easy food. Not too much of a problem if the fish are small but when a large (2½ft) Titan Trigger fish swims up to you looking for food then this is unnerving to say the least!

So, please don't feed the fishes. They don't need the food and it makes them "confrontational".

OD

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
919 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

Also, more importantly, if you feed the fish bread, which we have seen countless people do, it will potentially kill the fish.

This is because marine fish cannot digest bread. It gets stuck in their gullets and causes a slow and horrendous death! It is also totally unnatural, causing would be predators to come into the shores, where they would not normally frequent.

So NEVER feed the fish anything.

Whitfield, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

Well Done OD................best topic on this forum :)

Lets hope many read & digest!!!!!! This is an activity that makes my blood boil............

Best regards

Tracy

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

Hi Tracey

Thanks for your comments. Most kind.

Thanks also to Roger for pointing out that feeding bread - which is what most people do - is very bad for the fish.

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

I thought people were more educated that that nowadays. It's some years since I have seen it. I even remember dive masters taking bread rolls for the fish - I was shocked at that. What a terrible shame that people are still doing it. I guess that once one couple starts, others follow.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

.. and explains why a smallish (luckily) fish (a barred wrasse) bit my finger when I was standing in the lagoon. Marine biologist on island (Ihru / Banyan Tree) suggested this might be teh reason - was expecting food and got impatient, mistaking my plaster for bread!

Some also said should not throw bread in water from jetty (popular past time in evening), as make their stomachs swell, or to at least make sure bits of bread are tiny. Same persons were trying to feed the heron prawns. Any views on that? Should resorts add this to list of "Don't touch coral etc" advice?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

Hi Karla

At Biyadhoo there was this large Titan Trigger fish that took to cruising up and down in the lagoon near the shore. I felt it was only a matter of time before someone lost a finger!

Feeding bread from the jetty was also commonplace.

OD

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
919 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

Hi Karla

Kuredu Island Resort has signs at the end of their jetty saying not to feed the fish.

Unfortunately some resorts have a feeding regime to entice the Rays into the shore solely for a public show, which is despicable.

Back in 2001 on Kuramathi, this was the case. At 6pm sharp an employee would enter the sea armed with loads of dead Mackeral. Already the Rays would be waiting and more were heading in like fighter bombers. They would swamp this chap after the fish.

Yes, it was a spectacle to see, but totally unnatural and harmful for the ecosystem. Not sure if they still do this. I hope not!

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

Hi

It was also common place to see people feeding fish bread on summer island last december and as previously stated you are surrounded by little soldier fish all nipping at you wanting food

...susie

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

Great Thread OD!

There are a lot of newbies that should take note, there have been some recent trip reports for certain islands (not naming and shaming) about fishing and fish feeding - I was bitten by a tiny (4in) parrot fish on the house reef at Reethi last year, it took off half my little finger and I still have a scar!! I also got attacked by a Titan Trigger on the same trip (yes I know it was mating season) but I still blame the tourists who fed these fish bread - which caused them to attack me ;-)

Also a good opportunity for newbies to have a read of Rumpole's good thread which also highlights some do's and dont's.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298324-i9419-k2…

Anyway OD glad you posted this thread - as it will get more response than if I had posted it LOL

Regards

Emu

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
919 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't Feed The Fishes

This is a flyer that my good friends at Protect The Maldives have produced.

Everyone visiting the Maldives should read this and act accordingly.............

protectthemaldives.de/PTM_English/Download_f…