We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

London, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

Thinking of making the trip to one of the islands for the 1st two weeks of July, from July the 4th.

I know people don't have a crystal ball but weather wise can we expect rain and is it heavy, will we lose days or is it short / sharp etc.

Also any thoughts on Half, Full or AI ?! Again I know it's difficult to say the differences without mentioning which hotel I may well go for, but any general thoughts on costs for local food / drink / restaurants or is everything within the hotels.

is AI worth the pricing in general.

Many thanks in advnce for any help and also any recommendations of potential hotels.

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

Check out the sticky on the weather at the top of the forum page (frequnetly asked questions). I particularly like this little bit:

Think about this: the Maldives is a beautiful, warm, tropical paradise. Even if it's raining, it's still the most romantic place on earth and there are worse places to enjoy a tropical thunderstorm. Pack a good book, find yourself a comfy daybed and cuddle up with your loved one. Those grey clouds will pass. Your memories will last forever.

AI in the Maldives isn’t really the same as say the Caribean. Although some islands offer everything you’d probably normally expect on AI you tend to pay more for more. Just do you homework and you’ll avoid disappointment if you do go for AI. Some Islands don’t offer AI at all but quite a few do. I’d look at the difference between to different board basis then think if it will be good value for you. If you like to have a good few pints or whatever it probably is worth it IMO, other people go souly for diving so won't be around all that much to eat and drink their monies worth. I personally like AI as I think we get good value from it.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

Hi Dan,

There is NO local food outlets, each island is the hotel / resort, its not the done thing in the Maldives to flit about unless its to sister islands of the resort you are staying at. In saying that the cost of everything is expensive .( do you know where you are intending to go? )

Not touching the weather question.

AI is good for some not for others and it is different than any other location we have been to, most dont include mini bar or cocktails, and trips -sports are payable and if you eat outside the main restaurant that is chargable, some ofer a discount some dont and others still let you have the AI for drinks but you pay for the food. Peronaly - for us its GOOD value and works.

re resorts you will need to give more as in Large -small--natural or not--pool or not --reef or not--is snorkeling / diving important--what type of acccomodation and the biggy --what type of money are you talking about??

Rumps

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

you can expect rain .. it can be heavy .. you can have rained out days, especially in july, or it can be in short showers . depends on sheer luck.

like already mentioned .. there are no local stores or restaurants you can use .

AI tends to only be worth it if you are hardy alcohol drinkers.

we can't possibly recommend hotels without knowing your budget and priorities as to size , activites and ammenities.

London, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

Many thanks for the replies and sorry for not giving a bit more detail.

Budget = £2k each max.

A small island, not too busy, with snorkelling and diving, thinking I may do my PADI when I'm there. Cost ?

I'm guessing that I'm looking for the traditional paradise beach scene.

I do like the extras, like a lovely water villa or maybe a nice private type beach villa. But I think my budget may well end that !

I did the search via dreamticket.com for 2 weeks for July 4th and they're seems to be a large selection, all p/pers.

Kandooma, B&B, £1,227, beach villa

Holiday Island, H/B, £1,350, Super Deluxe, +£325 iro AI.

Kuredu Island Resort, AI, £1,612, Beach Villa.

Loads more, Sun Island, Paradise Island all get a mention.

Just wondering how much I'll clock up on the bar / extras in 2 weeks if we go half board.

Any thoughts / advice would be massively appreciated as I seem a bit lost at the moment.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

honestly ... i would take all the resorts you mention and deftly cross them off your list . they are the largets resorts in the maldives and don't fill your desire for a romantic small island .

i suggest looking at angaga , thudufushi, maayafushi , vilamendhoo, maybe filitheyo (not as great for diving)

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

oh., as far as PADI .. most of us generally recommend starting it at home as a referral course and get the classroom time out of the way , so you don't have to spend all your time in paradise studying theory.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

Cost wise for PADI --CIRCA 275 --350 English pounds

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

Hi Dan

the other thing to remember is if you start your diving course here (which i would also recommend) and choose PADI (worlwide recognised) then make sure the island that you are going to has a PADI school as there are other organisations which operate in the maldives

regards susie

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

I'll be the weather girl here!!

Just type in "weather in July" in the search box on the top left of the page .. it will take you to loads of posts to keep you busy for a month!!

personally, the AI isn't worth the pricing even if you drink mega loads but each island is different in their AI package so do check carefully.

.......AG

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in July + Half, Full or AI

Thanks AG-- JUST OF TO SEE MY CONSULTANT-- and i dont refer to Mike Fish or John kettley..

R